2012 USDGC

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby irban » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 pm

cgkdisc wrote: getting more spectators to eventually bring in other bigger sponsors.

The eternal pipe dream.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:19 pm

its not a championship, its a fvckin Pro-AM. they should invite michael phelps and pauly shore next year. maybe a few Sports illustrated models to play on the top card.

its like letting me play 2nd base for a MLB team

mockery IMO
Abe Froman

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:35 am

cgkdisc wrote:Annual financial losses were one of a few key reasons they changed the format from all Open in 2010 to the Performance version in 2011. Those earlier losses were budgeted as an investment toward getting more spectators to eventually bring in other bigger sponsors. It didn't happen nor did it look like it would happen. So the change was made in 2011 to find an event formula that was more financially viable in addition to still meeting their promotional goals over the long haul. We'll see if they were satisfied with the split field format this year if it continues unchanged next year.

I still dont buy into what your saying. Its thier event, I dont think they really care about other sponsors unless they were trying to build it to epic porportions and it isnt made for that. Thats what Worlds is supposed to be for, but the PDGA has enabled this to become the showcase event in disc golf. Everyone knows it. Money doesnt matter, look at Pro Worlds with its 100k payout or whatever. USDGC means just as much or more to most players than Worlds. Now, saying Innova doesnt want to fork out that type of money for a Pro only event is probably alot closer to the truth. IF thats what you were getting at, just spit it out in laymans terms.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby cgkdisc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 am

I've been asked to consult with the USDGC team on the event structure a few times over the years. So what I've posted isn't just speculation but more from insider discussions. Yes, Innova didn't feel all of the elements were coming together - spectators and other sponsors in particular - to continue pouring money into the event only for the top pros. Thus, the format tweaking going on to involve more players at other levels especially those who promote the game like TDs, State Coordinators and those representing their state.

The PDGA doesn't have much to do with the direction, format and payouts of the USDGC since Innova owns the event. They do review, advise and approve special rules variances which are common at the USDGC. The PDGA also provides marshals and scoring help like they do for several other big events.
cgkdisc

Postby grodney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:07 am

Abe Froman wrote:its not a championship, its a fvckin Pro-AM. they should invite michael phelps and pauly shore next year. maybe a few Sports illustrated models to play on the top card.

mockery IMO

You realize there were two divisions -- essentially two separate tournaments -- right?
grodney

Postby Like_Water » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 am

I fully believe Innova poured money in to this event with little to show for it, other than a great tournament. It couldn't sustain itself with huge payouts. And so goes competitive disc golf. If we can't give out prizes for entry fees, no one makes any money.

I also think Discraft realized this and decided tossing money away wasn't a good business strategy. They did years ago what Innova is trying to do now, run the USADGC.

Fact is we are in the same place we were 12 years ago, there are just more of us now.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Detra319 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 am

Find a way to make the gap between advanced and pro smaller and you have more pros moving up. How many pros in this state struggle to even break even on their tournament entry fees? I can think of 5 right now that play pro all the time and I know for sure they are losing money. The top pros are getting better and the bottom pros are not keeping up. Their needs to be a way to balance the difference between the top pros and the rest.

There is even a huge difference between a 1040 rated player and a 1025 rated player. I know that the ratings system says that is only something like 3 strokes, but thats bs. The toptop pros consistently finish ahead of everyone else. Look at what happens when the top American pros travel to Europe...Europeans get rocked. Anyways...rant off. Find a damn way to make it so more people feel they can compete and you will have more players. Going out and practicing and making yourself better is actually hurting the sport. Crazy huh?
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby grodney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 am

Detra319 wrote:Find a damn way to make it so more people feel they can compete

You mean like ----- performance scoring?
grodney

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 am

^^^I want some of what you got :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 am

Detra319 wrote: Find a damn way to make it so more people feel they can compete and you will have more players. Going out and practicing and making yourself better is actually hurting the sport. Crazy huh?

Pretty much. I quit practicing. Wish AO would do the same.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Detra319 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 am

grodney wrote:
Detra319 wrote:Find a damn way to make it so more people feel they can compete

You mean like ----- performance scoring?

Because that has lead to SOOOO many people in competition for the win, right? Oh wait....
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby AO » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 am

Player's packs were solid again

"Limited" flat top McBeast champ rock
sparkle blizzard Mamba
some new Discmania disc
Pumpkin Aviar
DD hat
Keen gift cert
Keen travel bag
local gift certs
US white tee shirt
Iowa rep USDGC dry fit T
Hooded USDGC sweatshirt

I also thought payouts were fine this year
1st $7500
36th(last) $800

I had a great vacation. I enjoyed the course and tried my best. The damn thing just doesn't fit my eye well. Pretty disappointed every time I walk off the course year after year..round after round. The only thing I didn't care for was not getting stroked for going OB. Saving par 33 times after going OB on my card over 4 days was silly.

I'll go back again.
AO

Postby cgkdisc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:49 am

I'm not sure you are considering how oten par is saved with regular OB. Excluding holes 10 and 12 where the pars are set 1 too high on both, consider whether par could have been saved with regular OB rules. On true par 4s like 8, if you went OB on the left or right and marked where you went out, top pros can save 4 pretty easy with a good upshot and putt. Same thing with 888. If you go OB on your second or third throw and mark where you went out, you can still park it and putt for par 5. Go OB on your tee shot or second shot on hole 5 and mark where you went out and you can still save par 5.
cgkdisc

Postby AO » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 am

With stroke and distance...par would not have been able to be saved on 2,3, 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,16,17,and 18
AO

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 pm

grodney wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:its not a championship, its a fvckin Pro-AM. they should invite michael phelps and pauly shore next year. maybe a few Sports illustrated models to play on the top card.

mockery IMO

You realize there were two divisions -- essentially two separate tournaments -- right?

yep, but after last years "champion" i lost respect for the integrity of the event. i get what they're trying to do, but i dont agree. dont call it a chapmionship, its a pro-am.
Abe Froman

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments