course conditions

Postby jnecessary » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:34 am

Aaron Killion and I went out for a couple hours last night and got some trimming done. He went to town with loppers and I took the weed whacker.

As expected, the Pen is growing like mad right now and needs lots of attention. The city mowed the interior holes last week and the areas mowed are looking pretty good. However, the fairways are narrow and the nettles and other growth are between thigh and waist high for the most part.

The exterior holes have not been mowed in a long while, has to be nearly a month as the grass on the open holes is knee high in most places, especially the back side on lower land.

I want to finish cleaning up around baskets and the red teepads before league on Wednesday but the weather does look good for it.
jnecessary

Postby Hamer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:08 pm

The interior and exterior fairways and greens were mowed today. The course is looking good.
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby jnecessary » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm hoping to borrow a couple pole saws this weekend and spend a bit of time on Saturday out there cleaning up. If anyone wants to join me, feel free to bring a weed whacker or loppers or just gloves to throw any debris out of fairways.

I'll have a better idea of timing tomorrow night.
jnecessary

Postby Hamer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:15 pm

I worked out on the course today for a few hours. I trimmed up the giant weeds that were hanging in the five fairway just off of the tee pad. I picked up some sticks in the four and five fairway. I also trimmed some branches that were hanging down.

The city cut the big limb down on hole two that has had the orange fence around it since 2009. It is great to have the blue tee pad playable again.

Here is a list of the main things that need done.
1)The right side of the twelve fairway needs a lot of weed eating to get it back to normal.
2)The baskets need some weed eating underneath them because the grass is growing up through them.
3)Some of the fairways need a bit of weed eating to widen them out.
4)The four fairway needs some weed eating off of the tee pad to the right.
5)A path with the weed eater needs to be cut from after eight over to the red tee pad at nine.
6)Any branches and sticks that are down in the fairways need to be picked up and tossed off to the side.
7)A couple of the steps need to be reset on the walk between seventeen and eighteen.
8)Some pole saw trimming of branches that are higher up than can be reached with loppers would be good.
9)The baskets will be moved into tournament locations next week. Anyone that wants to help do that is more than welcome to join us.
10)Make sure you check the alleys from both the red and the blue pads to see what kind of work needs to be done. We will be playing one round from each set of tee pads.

I will be working out at the Peninsula quite a bit leading up to the tournament on 10/2/2011.
Call me at 319-541-5495 if you have any questions.
Andy Hamer
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby jnecessary » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Course looks awesome right now.

Priorities at this point are weed whacking to widen some fairways, especially 12, also trimming around pins that are not currently active and the directional signs.

I have marked a few trees that need to be sawed down and cut up and removed from fairways, should be able to borrow a chainsaw this week and take care of them though.

More to come!
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 am

Please see this thread about a proposed workday in 2 weeks.
http://iowadg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141635#141635
jnecessary

Postby Buzzz Killington » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:08 pm

pads are cleared.
Buzzz Killington

Postby IHearChains » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:30 pm

TreeHugger wrote:pads are cleared.

thanks! conditions were very nice today!
IHearChains

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:49 pm

i got reds n blues cleared and a round in...killer weather today
Buzzz Killington

Postby AO » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Course is playing good. Not muddy at all.
AO

Postby jnecessary » Tue May 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Interior holes mowed.
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 am

jnecessary wrote:Interior holes mowed.

They started on 18 and 11/12 as well...thought they only mowed a strip down the left side of 12. Hopefully they finish up. A huge weed whacker party would be a good idea with a fresh mow because the city just rides a big honkin' mower around the interior holes and leaves a foot or two of tall grass around every tree.

Next Monday???
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Mon May 14, 2012 10:56 am

I just got off the phone with the superintendent of IC Parks and Forestry.

He wasn't too happy with the last couple emails that I had sent on behalf of the conditions at Peninsula. They have 2 guys that run the mowers that are used at the Pen and both have been out of work, 6 weeks with a back injury for one guy and then a couple weeks with a hand issue with the other. He said the course will be mowed yet today or tomorrow. Sounds like they are really struggling with staffing to keep up.

Also said that the course is on a 2 week mowing schedule. I hope that sticks.

Just a heads up for inquiring minds.

The next scheduled work day is June 4th, but if anyone would like to get out and finish cleaning up holes 8 and 10-18 feel free :)
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Tue May 15, 2012 7:11 am

Some of the course was mowed yesterday. From what I could tell they got parts of 14/15/16 and did mow 17 and 18.
jnecessary

Postby IHearChains » Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 am

jnecessary wrote:Also said that the course is on a 2 week mowing schedule.

:shock:

Wow that would be a fantastic new development!

In the past it has seemed more like "2 weeks per year" mowing schedule.
IHearChains

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park