DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Des Moines area leagues

Moderator: Single L

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby claring » Wed May 29, 2013 1:01 pm

I have 6 passes for Principal Charity Classic I am not able to use now. If any one is interested lmk
claring
 
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:05 am

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby discgolfduval » Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 am

Im down for just about any conditions tonight but was just wondering if anyone can ever remember a BW night being cancelled? Do we just skip the week then?
discgolfduval
 
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby The Donator » Thu May 30, 2013 8:19 am

Not sure...wonder if theres going to be some flooding there like there was a couple years ago.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby discgolfduval » Thu May 30, 2013 9:01 am

Hole #2 is flooding for sure. Luckly theres an Applebees in Altoona.
discgolfduval
 
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby irban » Thu May 30, 2013 9:13 am

discgolfduval wrote:Hole #2 is flooding for sure. Luckly theres an Applebees in Altoona.

I was just telling someone about the DM Challenge in 93 maybe? Altoona in the morning, Karen Acres in the afternoon. Pulled into the Altoona parking lot at about 6 AM, and there's a river running down the valley, from just below the swingset to about that first tree on the hill on the far side. Two wet rounds at north Karen that day. Fun tip: Sean Murphy was the TD that year I think.

If needed we can move to Skankeny, assuming it's any drier. Or do ultra-safari if there are holes we can't get to.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby SARG27044 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:17 am

discgolfduval wrote:Hole #2 is flooding for sure. Luckly theres an Applebees in Altoona.
Hole 2, 5s tee will be under water, as well as 11, will be horrible...
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby The Donator » Thu May 30, 2013 9:17 am

Corey usually goes out there the day of the Toona round so scout it out. I would guess 11 would be pretty bad as well as the teepad on that hole after the short downhill one.
"edit" - Tyler beat me to it
Last edited by The Donator on Thu May 30, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby irban » Thu May 30, 2013 9:18 am

SARG27044 wrote:
discgolfduval wrote:Hole #2 is flooding for sure. Luckly theres an Applebees in Altoona.
Hole 2, 5s tee will be under water, as well as 11, will be horrible...

Waders, or a canoe. Applebee's plan B sounds ok too. Would be nice to play first though.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby SARG27044 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:19 am

irban wrote:
discgolfduval wrote:Hole #2 is flooding for sure. Luckly theres an Applebees in Altoona.

I was just telling someone about the DM Challenge in 93 maybe? Altoona in the morning, Karen Acres in the afternoon. Pulled into the Altoona parking lot at about 6 AM, and there's a river running down the valley, from just below the swingset to about that first tree on the hill on the far side. Two wet rounds at north Karen that day. Fun tip: Sean Murphy was the TD that year I think.

If needed we can move to Skankeny, assuming it's any drier. Or do ultra-safari if there are holes we can't get to.
If we move to Ankeny Im out....Why would that be any dryer? Bridge is probably under 2 ft of water
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby irban » Thu May 30, 2013 9:20 am

SARG27044 wrote:If we move to Ankeny Im out....Why would that be any dryer? Bridge is probably under 2 ft of water

We won't tell you then.
Last edited by irban on Thu May 30, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby The Donator » Thu May 30, 2013 9:21 am

Walnut? :)
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby Single L » Thu May 30, 2013 10:42 am

SARG27044 wrote:
discgolfduval wrote:Hole #2 is flooding for sure. Luckly theres an Applebees in Altoona.
Hole 2, 5s tee will be under water, as well as 11, will be horrible...


The Donator wrote:Corey usually goes out there the day of the Toona round so scout it out. I would guess 11 would be pretty bad as well as the teepad on that hole after the short downhill one.
"edit" - Tyler beat me to it


Settle down Sally's ........ I went out last night after the pouring rain to mark the temps and trim some trees ..... Altoona is more than fine. A little soggy on 2's fairway and near 5's tee, but no tee's or pins are under water or in water ..... none of them. The creek was also far from full, it was flowing fast, but not anywhere near high, so it has lots of room to take on more.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby discgolfduval » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 am

Last I heard Ankeny had water 3 feet high on the course. Doesn't take much for that course to become unplayable anymore. Lets keep our fingers crossed for tonight. Im bringing swimming trunks just in case.
discgolfduval
 
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby The Donator » Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 am

That is shocking. Altoona must have gotten pretty lucky. Good for us tho.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: DSM Bushwhacker Disc Golf League

Postby Single L » Thu May 30, 2013 12:13 pm

discgolfduval wrote:Last I heard Ankeny had water 3 feet high on the course. Doesn't take much for that course to become unplayable anymore. Lets keep our fingers crossed for tonight. Im bringing swimming trunks just in case.


The Donator wrote:That is shocking. Altoona must have gotten pretty lucky. Good for us tho.


You guys do understand how watersheds, rainfall, and stream levels work don't you? The streams and basins for Heritage and Altoona are Apples and Oranges.

Heritage = Fourmile Creek
- Upstream Area from Course = 57 sq mi
- Travel Time = 11 hrs

Lions Park = Little Fourmile Creek
- Upstream Area from Course = 1.75 sq mi
- Travel Time = 3 hrs

Layman's terms - Heritage has a lot of water and takes longer get to the course and to go down; i.e. Multiple day flood event. Altoona has a small amount of water that flash floods quickly and goes down quickly; i.e. multiple hour flood event.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

cron