2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Des Moines area leagues

Moderator: Single L

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby Discgo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 am

I think its absolutely needed for the c players. I'm not so sure we should be letting b players throw from the shorts though.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:30 am
Location: behind the basket

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby irban » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 am

Discgo wrote:I think its absolutely needed for the c players. I'm not so sure we should be letting b players throw from the shorts though.

This has been a quirk of doubles for a while now right? For C players at least. (Did they allow B to play short too? That doesn't seem right.) But I agree with Jay, should be stroke "or" distance. Maybe allow them to choose.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5202
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 am

irban wrote:
Discgo wrote:I think its absolutely needed for the c players. I'm not so sure we should be letting b players throw from the shorts though.

This has been a quirk of doubles for a while now right? For C players at least. (Did they allow B to play short too? That doesn't seem right.) But I agree with Jay, should be stroke "or" distance. Maybe allow them to choose.
Some were allowed to play the shorts w/ 2 strokes, the rest got 2 strokes and the longs.
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:45 am

Discgo wrote:I think its absolutely needed for the c players. I'm not so sure we should be letting b players throw from the shorts though.


That's fine - obviously you're arguing for the women to not have to play the long tees. But why give me an advantage when I draw your wife? That's what it does. If she's teeing off on Pickard's short tee on hole 18, I don't even need to drive. And I get 4 strokes as well as a 600 foot head start on that hole? That's just nonsense. If the idea is to let the C-players win, let's just not keep score at all and give everybody participation medals like 3rd grade soccer. I thought the idea of competition is for the best player to win. The current system doesn't produce those results....period.

I like Gunnink's idea of getting to choose one or the other - depending on who they draw each week. For doubles, I'm not opposed to some system, but it can't be strokes AND distance.

In Nate's defense, this is the way it's been, and I've hated it ever since it came to be - not his fault, or anybody's really. We tried it, some like it, some don't. I fully intended on talking to Nate about changing it before league started and I just dropped the ball on that. It will change next year. I'm willing to bet on that.

In other news, I'm also in favor of getting rid of the singles handicap system Joe brought and going back to A,B, and C singles - straight up. Then being league champion means something, like when Sprague won it several years in a row. Now it doesn't mean shit.
Last edited by GDL17921 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8537
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:49 am

SARG27044 wrote:Some were allowed to play the shorts w/ 2 strokes, the rest got 2 strokes and the longs.


some being one person - and oh yeah, she won doubles, which proves my point.

I definately need to mention that this isn't anything personal against Amanda or anybody for that matter. I have given her shit about it in jest, and truly meant it that way. I really don't care, as a board member I get to play Tuesday night for free, and I do so to have fun and support the club. But the competitor in me knows that something here just isn't right and needs tweaked.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8537
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby Sidearm » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:01 pm

GDL17921 wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:Some were allowed to play the shorts w/ 2 strokes, the rest got 2 strokes and the longs.


some being one person - and oh yeah, she won doubles, which proves my point.

I definately need to mention that this isn't anything personal against Amanda or anybody for that matter. I have given her shit about it in jest, and truly meant it that way. I really don't care, as a board member I get to play Tuesday night for free, and I do so to have fun and support the club. But the competitor in me knows that something here just isn't right and needs tweaked.


Lighten up, Francis. :P See you tonight at Ewing!
Sidearm
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:41 am

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby The Donator » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:32 pm

GDL17921 wrote:In other news, I'm also in favor of getting rid of the singles handicap system Joe brought and going back to A,B, and C singles - straight up. Then being league champion means something, like when Sprague won it several years in a row.

That would be awesome. I remember when i first started playing dsm league and was super pumped to get top 3 in the B pool playing against Joe T and Jason Lee on the final night. It was the competition of the straight up stroke play in the pools that got me competitively playing in tournaments. Not sure if id even be playing today if it wasnt for that.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby irban » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Sidearm wrote:Lighten up, Francis. :P See you tonight at Ewing!

From one of two who didn't have to throw 18 ( and quite a few others ) at Pickard last week. 8) Thanks Amanda! :)
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5202
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:20 pm

irban wrote:
Sidearm wrote:Lighten up, Francis. :P See you tonight at Ewing!

From one of two who didn't have to throw 18 ( and quite a few others ) at Pickard last week. 8) Thanks Amanda! :)



yeah, exactly.

I'm plenty light there Dave. Not mad at all about this, just trying to initiate discussion. I'm just passionate about things that I'm involved with - and I'm not afraid to express my opionions. Never have been. This simple fact doesn't always make me the most popular person, but you know what? I gave up on popularity contests 25 years ago when I was in high school. The one thing I am working on is how I deliver my opinions. If by expressing my opinion, I offended you, I truly apologize. It's not my intent at all. I just think the rules/format needs to be discussed/debated/revised.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8537
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm not exactly sure how the handicaps in either league works...is it just the 2 or 4 strokes respectively for both singles and dubs? All I can say for the "competive" comment is, I was at the top of the list for every week I played shooting one of the better rounds each week and came away with the sweep. I didn't notice any adjustment to anyone's scores....
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Everyone playing the shorts on 17 tonight? Gonna be a long wait lookin for everyone's disc lol
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby Discgo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:59 pm

SARG27044 wrote:Everyone playing the shorts on 17 tonight? Gonna be a long wait lookin for everyone's disc lol

You can't reach the short grass?
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:30 am
Location: behind the basket

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Discgo wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:Everyone playing the shorts on 17 tonight? Gonna be a long wait lookin for everyone's disc lol

You can't reach the short grass?


he was about 2 feet short last Thursday
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8537
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby Discgo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:19 pm

I was short too. Might as well admit it before Claring chimes in.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo
 
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:30 am
Location: behind the basket

Re: 2013 Des Moines League Schedule (and scores)

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:38 pm

Discgo wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:Everyone playing the shorts on 17 tonight? Gonna be a long wait lookin for everyone's disc lol

You can't reach the short grass?

Wasn't worried about myself
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6707
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron