14%
Twin Cities
33%
Cant play
5%

Total votes : 21

Re: BW Disc Golf Trip

Postby Discin'Cider49514 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm ok with either Highbridge or Twin Cities.....Vichy is a no go for me, too close to jr's due date for me to make it justifiable to the wifey that I HAVE to go by laws of Bushwhacker rookie initiation...
Discin'Cider49514

Postby Single L » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:50 pm

I should also note that I I have no problems if Vichy doesn't work, and a different local is selected. That said, while I love the courses in the Twin Cities, I kind of think an Urban trip with hotels and what not kind of diminishes the vibe of the original trip. Camping and/or staying on one property and flinging plastic all weekend is kind of what made that original trip (and Wildcat) so much fun. If you caravan from course to course and in handful of hotel rooms the mass group vibe kind of diminishes. So I'm more in favor of a destination / camping trip that may have lesser courses than a trip to the Twin Cities, etc.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Discgo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Single L wrote:I should also note that I I have no problems if Vichy doesn't work, and a different local is selected. That said, while I love the courses in the Twin Cities, I kind of think an Urban trip with hotels and what not kind of diminishes the vibe of the original trip. Camping and/or staying on one property and flinging plastic all weekend is kind of what made that original trip (and Wildcat) so much fun. If you caravan from course to course and in handful of hotel rooms the mass group vibe kind of diminishes. So I'm more in favor of a destination / camping trip that may have lesser courses than a trip to the Twin Cities, etc.

I knows it's not on the list but Flip City had onsite camping and is always well maintained. There are other top notch courses nearby (leviathan sp?)and it's not far from the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. Downside is that it is a little further away at 8 1/2 hours but well worth the drive.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Re: Disc Golf Vacation

Postby Grimm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:09 am

Single L wrote: and payout.

Do you have high hopes? :P

I do agree the hotel part may take away from the comradery but there are also plenty of camping places in by the Twin Cities. Most likely I won't make it anyway due to the selected weekends.
Last edited by Grimm on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby The Donator » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:14 am

Discgo wrote:
Single L wrote:I should also note that I I have no problems if Vichy doesn't work, and a different local is selected. That said, while I love the courses in the Twin Cities, I kind of think an Urban trip with hotels and what not kind of diminishes the vibe of the original trip. Camping and/or staying on one property and flinging plastic all weekend is kind of what made that original trip (and Wildcat) so much fun. If you caravan from course to course and in handful of hotel rooms the mass group vibe kind of diminishes. So I'm more in favor of a destination / camping trip that may have lesser courses than a trip to the Twin Cities, etc.

I knows it's not on the list but Flip City had onsite camping and is always well maintained. There are other top notch courses nearby (leviathan sp?)and it's not far from the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. Downside is that it is a little further away at 8 1/2 hours but well worth the drive.

No.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby The Donator » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:34 am

discgolfduval wrote:I just spoke with a buddy of mine that gets over to Highbridge a couple of times a year and he said that Highbridge is becoming a bit run down. Sounds like the fairways are decent but the grass is super high off of them.

I was there in the first tournament (Mid Nationals) when they had it. It was still rough, but still better than Big Creek would ever be in the summer. Talked with "Highbridge Discgolf" on FB and here is what they said -

Hi, there is a group of us of about 4-16 people at most, that may be planning a trip up there in September. A few are worried that the courses are not taken care of enough. I played Mid-Nationals there way back in the day when there were only 4 courses (granite, blueberry, and gold were the only ones played in my division), and i didnt think there was a single issue. I know John Jokinen (sp?) has a lot of work on his hands, but a lot of us were wondering if the trip would be worth it if the courses are in good shape...any info would be great, thanks.

2 minutes ago
Hi Aaron! They are all in great shape except Whitetail is not playable yet as had been too wet to mow. John has had a couple other guys helping him mow up there, and if he needs more help, I will go there myself and take care of the courses. I have not heard of anyone complaining of the condition of the courses. Spring and early summer was pretty wet and grass was growing fast, but I think it is slowing up a bit with the hot weather, which also helps the mowing process. All I hear is great feedback from the players up there! Tell the guys, no worries, Aaron! John has the support he needs now and has renewed focus and drive to make Highbridge Hills everything it can be....First and foremost, a place for disc golf! (Sorry I didn't see your message earlier.) We look so forward to seeing you when you come in September. Take care!

There are six separate courses (18 holes) and an additional four courses that are the combination courses, so there are 10 scorecards.
Can't wait for your visit. John guarantees you will have a great time!

The Honka holds up to 15 very comfortably and can also pitch tents outside Honka and those guests would pay $10 if they are tenting it, but they have full use of the amenities. Four bathrooms, four showers. It is okay!
Two kitchen areas and four bedroom areas.
The views from the Honka are amazing!
Two refrigerators and two stoves, gas grill outside and cookware and dishes, bedding is provided but should bring a sleeping bag on top of the bedding.
Right now Honka is booked through end of October on the weekends. But John's house is available and can get to the courses from his house...at same rate. You would like that too, but is more wooded and not the views of the Honka.
Amenities similar to Honka but three showers in John's house. John thinks his house is the nicer of the two.
The Donator

Postby hyzerman16234 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

The Wildcat crew has 4 guys going to HB in mid August. Staying in the Honka for 5 days. This will be our 2nd time. It's a low cost trip compared to the Motel rates. They also have carts to use on Gold and Granite as long as they run. If you want the Honka you have to get it 8 months ahead or more.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
hyzerman16234

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:00 pm

You may be able to get the Honka House during the weekdays but I bet the weekends are booked for the year, just have to check. There are a couple cabins, one on Blueberry, but in my opinion the Honka house is the way to go with a large group. The camping area (bunkhouse) is offsite from the courses a little way, out off the highway that leads to the complex and it really didn't look that great to me. I'm not sure if there is a trail to get to the courses via golf cart from there or if you have to drive, which is maybe a mile total.

The crew went up last September and everything was amazing, the courses were pristine. We booked the week in August quite a few months ago to make sure it was available. The Honka house is "rustic" but much better than camping with plenty of room, great views, two kitchens (although we only needed one) gas grills and the hot tub (which saved my tired ass). The whole experience was so great that we talked about going back on the way home.

We're planning on staying in Sparta Saturday and playing Justin Trails on the way up. Then getting to Highbridge early enough Sunday to play a couple rounds. We won't get the Honka until Sunday evening as there is supposed to be 20 or so guys in it that weekend and the HB crew will have to clean once they leave. Last year we didn't get into the house until around 7:00 PM or so as no one really wants to leave discgolf paradise. Can't wait.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby The Donator » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Honestly dont care about the Honka House, we camped there the time we went there and it wasnt built, and was perfectly fine, except for the bears roaming around eating our garbage. They have showers/etc right down the road, which Vichy did not. This should not sway anyone's opinions.
The Donator

Postby Buzzznation » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:02 am

I chose Highbridge mainly because I've never been and may never go without something organized in this fashion. I'd be fine with the Minnesota too but have already played a few courses up there and will probably have more chances to do so. Vichy will not work for me as it is getting close to our due date otherwise I'd prolly chose that.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Buzzznation » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:24 am

Good idea getting the poll rolling Linsel. I'm sure there will be about 37 votes and 18 of those will be McCormick and friends.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Discgo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:52 am

The Donator wrote:
Discgo wrote:

No.

I know I'm not on the committee for this idea but is it not possible to have multiple trips? Maybe start sign up threads for high bridge and Vichy and pick separate dates. I would be willing to go to both and maybe even twin cities if enough people were going. Traveling as a group is something that we could and should exploit more.
Discgo

Postby The Donator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:12 am

Discgo wrote:I knows it's not on the list but Flip City had onsite camping and is always well maintained. There are other top notch courses nearby (leviathan sp?)and it's not far from the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. Downside is that it is a little further away at 8 1/2 hours but well worth the drive.

Discgo wrote: Traveling as a group is something that we could and should exploit more.

Oh absolutely. I highly doubt even the hardcore DSM BW'ers would be able to pull off more than one 7-8 hour trip per year, esp w/ the oversaturation of tournaments all year long. I have heard great things about Flip City though.
The Donator

Postby Discgo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 am

The Donator wrote:Oh absolutely. I highly doubt even the hardcore DSM BW'ers would be able to pull off more than one 7-8 hour trip per year, esp w/ the oversaturation of tournaments all year long. I have heard great things about Flip City though.

I was over the flip city idea as soon as you vetoed it. You cut out the part of my message I was actually trying to convey.

Discgo wrote:I know I'm not on the committee for this idea but is it not possible to have multiple trips? Maybe start sign up threads for high bridge and Vichy and pick separate dates. I would be willing to go to both and maybe even twin cities if enough people were going. Traveling as a group is something that we could and should exploit more.
Discgo

Postby The Donator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:42 am

Im not on any "committee," nor did I "veto" anything. I just set up a simply poll and said "no" to an 8 hour trip that isnt even in the same universe as the other 8 hour option. Moving on.
The Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines