Thoughts about the park itself

Thoughts about the park itself

Postby KePP » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:04 pm

K.C. wrote:It's gorgeous!

This park is absolutely beautiful! Big rolling hills of green with a nice combination of wooded trees, mature trees, and open prairie. The views of the Mississippi are spectacular. KC says its the widest section of the Mississippi - it looks more like a lake than a river.

Everywhere you walk it seems like nature designed the layout for disc golf holes. Tons of tunnels with elevation changes and strategic trees, lined with schule. Props to Johnny Appleseed.
Last edited by KePP on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KePP

Postby ahagglun » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:05 pm

Hey, just a concern I was having---I found the map detailing the prospective course, so I went out and walked it. I returned home pretty worried.

Specifically, I worried that whoever designed the course did so late in the year when most of the prairie grass wasn't at its peak. And now, I'm worried that the people building the course showed up June 2nd, said "Where the hell did all this grass come from" and abandoned the plan.

Guess i'm asking if there will still be an EPP course and, if there is, if there's going to be a plan to deal with the grass, and if there is, when it might be finished.
ahagglun

Postby K.C. » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 am

Thanks for your thoughts. I promise you, we knew all about the prairie grass. Actually, we started thinkin' up the design when it was all in FULL BLOOM, and we've been up to our necks in it all.

The park knows that there will be considerable more mowing necessary, and they are going to start that preperation soon. (They didn't want to have to mow it all summer if no one was going to be out there yet.) They mow it at the end of the season every year, and are completely capable of doing it anytime...they've just decided not to yet.

That being said. We're not going to have them mow EVERYTHING. We actually want to keep quite a bit of it to make the fairways more defined. But, they will all play fair and fun (so long as you can keep it in the fairway). That park is gorgeous, and with more walking paths/disc golf fairways...it'll just be more so.

I hope you enjoyed the terrain, and hopefully you'll enjoy the course when it is installed (Mid-August, crossing our fingers). There has been a lot of hard work out there, and still more to come. We'd love to have your help if you have the time/energy, too.
K.C.

Postby ahagglun » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:41 pm

"so long as you keep it in the fairway"....sounds pretty ominous to me =)

But seriously, I've always liked that section of the park and I hope it turns out as well as you have planned, just as I hope that a course this nice gets the quantity of play that it deserves.
ahagglun

Postby K.C. » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:51 pm

I'm completely with you...and I think that part of the park is ideal for a championship caliber course.

- Now, that being said: I just rode around with the park guy yesterday, and we were discussing what mowing needs to be done...and this time he wasn't as keen on all of it as he was originally. (He says that he's already staffed 5 days a week, and might not be able to afford another 1/2 day of mowing out there.) I'm meeting with the actual worker next Tuesday, to get a feel for how long a time-frame he believes it will take to mow the extra amount needed for our design.

- We've got a couple solutions if we run into any problems, and hopefully we won't have to change much of the design (if any), due to park maintenance problems. I had gone over this, pretty extensively, with them before, and we had already "tweaked" our original design thoughts a ton. But, I thought we had eliminated this problem.
****Note: The mower they use out there mows paths of 16' wide. So, a couple passes here, a couple passes there...you've got yourself a couple tight (yet fair) fairways. :lol:

- In the end...it might just come down to what the city wants to do. When they contacted me (us, really...I don't want to exclude a few others) they asked us to put in a championship course, as they didn't want another Fulton or Folletts. But, they did make some guidelines that we had to abide by. Hopefully they'll stay true to their original intent...

- If (and hopefully ONLY "if") they decide that they will not put more money/time into mowing efforts, then the course might have to settle to be a beautiful course...without as much challenge as we'd like. But, maybe that is what Clinton needs first, anyway...who knows?

- Cross your fingers
K.C.

Postby IowaCharlie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:51 pm

So the course is up and running? Whee exactly is the park, and where can I get a map?
IowaCharlie

Postby K.C. » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:07 pm

The course is not up and running quite yet. I met with the Iowa Great Places committee tonight, actually, to make sure they still wanted the more challenging layout. (Instead of shortening the course to the currently mowed area.) Everyone there is in favor of having a more challenging course, since Fulton and Folletts are both within 15 minutes of there, and offer a more "beginner friendly" variety.

According to them, we're going to re-breach the Parks gentleman, and hope that he can staff the manpower to mow the allotted area somewhere between every 2-3 weeks, instead of keeping it so prestinely groomed like the rest of the park. We're hoping that he'll bite at this, and we can continue on in our development. But, until then...we'll just have to wait. I can't even order the signs to be finished until I have the layout finalized. So...everything is on hold for the time being.

I'll post the course map and any updates when they're ready. Or...better yet...I'll post some more work days, and you can offer your assistance then. Then you'll know exactly where the park is, and know the map already. Cool? Hope to see you then....
K.C.

Postby IowaCharlie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:53 am

Next time you need help just pm me. My work schedule is kinda weird, but I still might be able to make it.
IowaCharlie

Work Days

Postby FADEman » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:44 pm

I would be up for a few days to work on this. Where can I find the schedule?

FADEman (Tim)
www.fadegear.com
FADEman

Postby Lou Siffer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:49 am

Work days will likely be posted in the "I will work for a course" thread connected to the Eagle Point area of the forum.

Keep checking back.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby karma27895 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:54 pm

just went there and played it WOW what a awesome course truely impressed good work guys
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:53 pm

Cool. Glad you liked it, Jon.

Keep in mind that there's still plenty of work to be done, and we'd love to have you on the work force.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby karma27895 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:22 am

thats just alittle bit far for me to go on a week night but if you guys have somthing going on one weekend coming up i wouldnt mind ridin up there and doin work
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby Lou Siffer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:17 am

karma18 wrote:thats just alittle bit far for me to go on a week night but if you guys have somthing going on one weekend coming up i wouldnt mind ridin up there and doin work

Cool. You're probably out for this weekend, right? I believe K.C. is also going up early Monday morning, too. Anyone?
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby K.C. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 am

This is true. If anyone has some time to offer, I'll gladly use it.

I know Alex (and a few gents from the Sterling area) will be up there on Saturday starting at 9, and I'll be meeting up with them after a funeral in the morning. (We'll be throwing in the forms for our cement on Monday, and trying to finish the landscaping on hole #3, which is a project in itself.)

As far as Sunday, I know Wes and Alex will be joining me...but more is merrier. We're going to clean up that course a bit. I'll be bringin' up the brush hog, and we'll be makin' it look more "playable", since the concrete will be finished come Monday.

On Monday...this is where I really need the help. If ANYONE can offer up the morning, I could use your muscle. (Even as little muscle as Greenwood could offer.) The cement goes fast, so it won't take much of the day...but I need the help to get it all done.

Thanks.
K.C.

Next

Return to Clinton - Eagle Point Park