opinions

opinions

Postby karma27895 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:25 pm

dont be scared to post any thing about this course i use to hate it but now its not that bad seems how its like a block away from my house
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby strokersix » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:15 pm

I've played this course a lot and I do like it. It makes good use of the elevation and is moderately challenging. Criticism is the flow kind of sucks which I understand was forced due to the pool construction and the hole going straight up hill (14?) is really annoying. You'll need a map or a guide to find the tees.
strokersix

Postby KePP » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm a big fan of this course. I LOVED the old Longview and was pleased to see some of the original course left in the re-design, specifically holes 6 and 18. The view of the Centennial Bridge is worth the price of admission. The price of admission is a cardio ass whoopin.

This course has a special place for me because its the only course I played for several years at the end of the century. To me, it was the only "disc golf" I knew. Until the original Devil's Glen, which I liked b/c I sucked, and Camden, which I hated because I sucked.

I was really disappointed when the course was removed for the conveniently named WHITEwater Junction where white SUV mom's show up in the hood. It was most upsetting because the course was taken out right when my brother and I moved to the District, a mile or less from the park.

Wailing a drive on hole 6 from the very top to the very bottom feels awesome. Hole 13, straight up the hill, is kind of stupid... mostly because you turn around and walk right back down the hill for hole 14.

One big knock is that this course is IMPOSSIBLE to navigate correctly for a first-timer without a map. I still find myself almost forgetting hole 15.
KePP

Postby Trentoo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:50 pm

Ive only played this course twice, but I loved it.

Luckily I played the course for league, so I had an experienced player showing us around.

And the view is a great bonus.
Trentoo

Postby IowaCharlie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:10 pm

So where can I get a map for the course, if one is so badly needed?
IowaCharlie

Postby dfee » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:22 pm

Professional Plastic Stacker and Amateur Disc Golfer
AM4LIFE
dfee

Postby Jbird » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:06 am

I've attempted to play it twice both times when I was in the area and without a map I was hoping to follow someone. but no luck; I've heard that the maintence man dont want to mow around tee signs. ( that is lame) singnage is a huge part of having a course! wondering around aimlessly is not fun especially in those hills. Is there a park and rec. guy that I can talk to about showing support and importance of signage
IT TAKES A BIG DOG TO WEIGH A TON
Jbird

Postby smalls51691 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:18 pm

i went out today and there was noone else on the course. I like the course and i think that it needs pads and signs to be a course that gets played regularly. i hit the basket 3 times but no luck. i think that they need to redesign the course if possible.
smalls51691

Postby swan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:04 am

It's actually a great course despite the horrible flow. Lots of different kinds of shots all the way around. If there were any sort of tee pads in place, it would be even better.

A redesign would only need to be minimal. The back tracking could be remedied with a renumbering of the holes and #13 could be reincorporated somewhere else.

It's a very fun course to play. Hardly any traffic, good exercise and some killer views of the downtown area.
swan

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:19 am

I'm with you, Swan. I hear a lot of people talking negatively about this course, but in spite of it's minimal flaws, I think it's a great course.

Unfortunately, the city (loosely translated: the Parks Director) has no real interest in bringing it to it's full potential. As the story goes, they don't want the hassle of mowing around tee signs and pads.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:27 am

That RI parks guy is a tool, and I don't really understand to this day why we didn't just take the project to a park where somebody would work with him (Jeff)---but they did buy the baskets. Let's spend all this taxpayer $$ on baskets, but not do anything else.......But, that being said, Dave Pannel is the same guy that 8 years ago wouldn't allow concrete tees at Camden because disc golf was a "fad". He came around. People usually do. Give it some time, I guarantee you that the course at Longview will outlast that stick in the mud. It might not happen on our time frame, but it will happen.....book it. :wink:

I really like Longview too...I used to live about 4 blocks away. When I moved to the QC in 1999, it was the only course in the QC (and it was 12 holes). Look how far disc golf has come in 9 years.
GDL17921

Return to Quad Cities (Rock Island, IL) - Longview Park