Putting Stance

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Postby SARG27044 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:52 am

i focus on the chain to the left side since i usually miss to the right
SARG27044

Postby swan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 am

I'm pretty much with ya...
I try to find the middle chain (from my POV) and aim at the one just to the right of it. Focus on the top half. Like Kepp said, as I move farther away, the aim goes just a bit more up and to the right. Find the spot and try to throw through it instead of to it.

For all putts inside 30-35 ft, a helpful reminder for me is to keep telling myself "don't give up the basket." In other words, never aim outside the farthest right chain. The amount of hyser within that space won't take the disc out of the sweet spot.

Throwing THROUGH the target is helping me get the right speed on most putts.
swan

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:24 pm

Since AO's digging up old threads to re-open discussions - thought I'd mention this:

People suggested last year in this thread to practice both, and that helped my game a LOT. I primarily straddle putt. Surely, as I practiced both ways I became more confident knowing that I could hit them from either stance. It helped w/ learning balance & such from any putting position.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby swan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 am

I've found straddling to be more comfortable to me. It just feels better to be facing the target straight on than to lean in with the straddle.

I liken it to hitters in baseball who have an open stance. The common explanation for that is that they feel like they're seeing the pitcher with "both eyes" if they open up their front foot.

It's just what I'm comfortable with right now. I'm sure changes will be made..... and changed back.
swan

Previous

Return to Putting Technique