Arm Only Putt

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Arm Only Putt

Postby Nohr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:20 pm

I have been thinking about this recently and wanted to get other peoples ideas on it.

Why do most people lift their back leg up when putting? If you reduce the number of movements it should be easier to recreate. I have been trying out putting with both feet planted. I figure if my whole bottom half of my body stays stationary all I have to worry about is arm movement. My jacked up thinking is less moving parts = easier to do. Easier to do = More Consistent (less things have to go right/wrong to make/miss the putt).

When I have a steep hillside putt it feels weird releasing it. I have to think part of it is because I can't kick my back leg up.

So what do you think? Is purposely practicing flat footed putting stupid?
Nohr

Postby Ferch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 pm

I would think it puts more strain on your arm and wouldn't work for longer putts. You HAVE to have a ROUTINE. Thats what works. I watched a good friend change his putt and disc like every 2 weeks. By the middle of the 2nd week still no routine and no consistancy. I heard you have been putting better from 30 and in, so just stick with it and build a routine Dustin. :)
Ferch

Postby Nohr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 pm

I guess by kicking your back leg up you are transferring weight. Might have something to do with it.

I agree it would make longer putts harder. I only think it would be used inside the circle. It would be pretty hard to get called on a foot fault if you don't move anything but your arm.
Nohr

Postby Ferch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:24 pm

You shouldn't be foot faulting if you have good balance.
Ferch

Postby anubis080 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 pm

Nohr wrote:I guess by kicking your back leg up you are transferring weight. Might have something to do with it.

I agree it would make longer putts harder.

Yes, transfer of weight is why. It actually makes longer putts easier for two reasons.

1. If you are not merely going through the motion with a leg extension, it helps produce a more significant weight transfer, meaning it will take less arm to get the disc to your destination. By actually kicking that leg (with follow through) you put as much weight transfer as you possibly can into the pitch.

2. It opens your hips more. By opening your hips it creates more force AND it creates a larger linear pull in your upper body. By allowing your foot to leave the ground you create that follow through and balance.

If you have ever bowled, why do you kick your right leg out to the left ( if you are a righty)? It's to balance your right side. You have a bowling ball on your right side extending (disc in your right hand lunging forward), so you try and restore your center of gravity by kicking that leg out.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby Nohr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:13 am

So if kicking your leg up is making putts easier. Not being able to kick your leg up will make the putt harder. Eg if you have a sketchy lie it is going to be hard to make the putt if you can't kick your leg up. Unless you practice not using your lower body.

And I agree with routine to some extent. I am trying to come up with a general routine (take a deep breath, check 2 or 3 different putts, Shuffle putters, make putt). I don't want to turn into an OCD freak that has to tap down a foot 4 times before I can make a putt. I have been telling myself a lot recently "the only way you can miss a 15 footer is by thinking about it".
Nohr

Re: Arm Only Putt

Postby Single L » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:46 pm

Nohr wrote:I have been thinking about this recently and wanted to get other peoples ideas on it.

Why do most people lift their back leg up when putting? If you reduce the number of movements it should be easier to recreate. I have been trying out putting with both feet planted. I figure if my whole bottom half of my body stays stationary all I have to worry about is arm movement. My jacked up thinking is less moving parts = easier to do. Easier to do = More Consistent (less things have to go right/wrong to make/miss the putt).

In my opinion you are partially correct that less moving part means it should be easier to do. I think the key is to use fewer steps to make it easier; and personally I think you are hurting yourself by trying to eliminate lifting your leg as you are actually adding a step by cognitively making yourself not lifting your leg. I think the leg lift is a natural part of the putting motion, to me it’s the follow through on a putt; would you try to stop your arm from following through on a drive? No, so don’t do it here. I think the biggest part of eliminating motion or steps in a putt is in your delivery; limiting one or more of the following, rocking, elbow bend, wrist action, etc. Don’t get me wrong, a solid finish to a put is important (shoulders finishing square, hand open and parallel to the poll, and control of balance) but the finish is not what you should focus on limiting.

Nohr wrote:When I have a steep hillside putt it feels weird releasing it. I have to think part of it is because I can't kick my back leg up.
Nohr wrote:So if kicking your leg up is making putts easier. Not being able to kick your leg up will make the putt harder. Eg if you have a sketchy lie it is going to be hard to make the putt if you can't kick your leg up. Unless you practice not using your lower body.

If I have even a slight slope I use a straddle putt. Having both a straddle and a straight putt is key in this sport. A Straddle putt still allows you to use your lower body, it actually uses more for how I putt, but you’re using your lower body in a different way.

Nohr wrote:I agree it would make longer putts harder. I only think it would be used inside the circle. It would be pretty hard to get called on a foot fault if you don't move anything but your arm.

Like I said before the leg lift is still important for the follow through, what is more important inside the circle is limiting or stopping the rocking motion. If you watch any of the top pro’s they still lift their leg, but have almost no rocking motion. When I’m 20ft and in I actually stand balanced on one foot with my other foot either slightly off the ground or barely touching. This causes me to only use my upper body; what this does is keep my shoulders square to the basket, the only thing I really have to do is throw it hard enough to get there. From 20 to 35 feet I still don’t use a rocking motion, what I do is use my back foot to push off to give me that little extra umph I need to get the disc there, but the main focus is still keeping my shoulders square and finishing balanced on my leading foot. Clue has told me my putt looks a lot like Timmy Gill’s; I’ve since watched his form and would say mine is very similar.

Nohr wrote:So what do you think? Is purposely practicing flat footed putting stupid?

Yes – only because of my reasoning of why the leg lift is important in non-straddle putts.
Last edited by Single L on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 am

Practicing of any type is never stupid. Doesnt matter if its flat footed or on one foot, practice is practice.

Your going to develop different habits over time that is going to change your style, whether you like it or not.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Single L » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:36 pm

I do agree with Chase that we all have different habits and practicing any type of putt is not stupid .... with that said your stated goal is to simplify your putt. Yes you are not moving your legs so in theory you are simplifying it, however you are contradicting that action by adding a mental step by focusing on not lifting your leg.

It all depends on how you want to simplify the putt, the mental steps or the physical movements. For me I simplify the mental steps, the putt feels more natural because I’m not over thinking the putt and by doing so I end up simplifying the movements without even thinking about it.

So if you want to simply eliminate movement, and your conclusion is to putt flat footed, I would concur that practicing that is not stupid. One warning though is that you are adding more mental steps, but if that works for you more power to you, again everyone has a different style .... Hope it all works out for you
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby gpdigity » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:08 am

i definitely dont have it all figured out yet but i used to putt flat footed with both toes pointing 90 degrees from the basket and only arm putt.

this forced me to create more of a swinging motion using more muscle with my arm. By having to swing my arm more my accuracy depended on my release. If I released early i missed left if late i missed right.

then is started paying attention. listened to AO about freethrows and using your body to throw the ball and just steer with your arm.

So now i am focusing on pointing my toe towards the basket and pushing off my back foot and reach towards the basket(not swinging at it.) I start with the disc low and as i throw it i raise the disc and snap my elbow reaching towards the basket.

i feel like i can steer the disc more now cuase my release point doesen't matter. when my elbow snaps str8 i release.

this all comes from pushing off my back foot getting power from my legs so i can just steer with my arms and go str8 at it.

it seems like more moving part but it feels simpler becuase my arm is doing less now. I feel by adding more body it has made it less moving parts. Due to less throwing muscle used for power and just focus on release and accuracy.

this is all been said before I know but thats my input or experience or what ever im thinking blah blah lol
gpdigity

Return to Putting Technique