wind putting

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

wind putting

Postby dkent130 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:15 am

When conditions are calm, the putter is nothing more than dead weight you have to drop in the basket. When the wind is up, you need to think about flight characteristics. And don’t go back home when it’s windy. Stay out there and tough it out. In general, when the wind is up, putt in a direct line with the basket. And be firm with your throw.

Here’s how various winds affect a right-handed player. I’ll start with a direct tailwind (6:00) and work around the clock counterclockwise. At 6:00, a putt will usually drop. At 5:30, with some wind under the disc, it won’t drop quite as much with a slight hyzer. At 3:00 the disc will lift with hyzer. Change your spot on the post to compensate. A straighter putt will take the lift out. A 1:30 wind will lift a hyzer putt and slow the disc down. It will also push to the left. A straight putt may turn over slightly.

At 12:00 (direct headwind) a slight hyzer or flat putt will lift and turn a bit. A 10:30 wind pushes a hyzer putt down and to the right. This is where a straight putt comes in handy over a loft or hyzer putt. A 9:00 wind has more pronounced effects than a 10:30, pushing hard and down to the right. Aim to the left side of the chains and take out any swooping angles. 7:30 is my perfect wind to putt in. I loft it up and the wind will keep it down and on-line with the disc hyzering.

I think about the wind on the tee. If it’s a strong wind behind me, then I try and throw short and left of the pin, playing for the left 7:30 putt. If there’s a strong headwind, I’ll throw extra hard and blow past the basket for a tailwind putt. That’s the mentality you have to have to make putts easier.

* words from the champ himself
dkent130

Postby Melvins420 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 pm

RULE OF ACQUISITION NUMBER 294:
NEVER PUTT INTO THE WIND, AND ALWAYS PAY FOR BLOW JOBS IN GOLD-PRESSED LATINUM! HANGHANGEARA!!!! HANGHANGEARA!!!! HANGHANGEARA!!!! HANGHANGEARA!!!! HANGHANGEARA!!!! HANGHANGEARA!!!!

Melvins420

Return to Putting Technique