2014 Des Moines Ice Bowl Jan 25th

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

2014 Des Moines Ice Bowl Jan 25th

Postby shane » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:39 am

Merry Christmas everyone! Its that time of year the ice bowl is right around the corner. This year we will be doing a flighted tourney after the first round by scores. Ladies will have their own flights. Entry will start at 8am and players meeting will be at 930, T time at 10. Entry will be $15 along with ten cans of food. Ace fund is $2 and you can buy up to 3 mulligans @ $1 each. We wont turn any entries away.

We are striving to take more food to the Food Bank of Iowa this year. So, for every 10 cans of food you bring you will get a raffle ticket that will be entered in a drawing for a basket. If you do it now you'd have plenty of time to set a box up at your workplace and get some extras for you to bring in. We havent had the big loads like we use to so we need everyone to do their share.

We will also be doing the famous chilli cookoff again this year. Bring a pot of fresh made chilli and get your self entered into the cookoff. There will be awards for these contestants as voted by their peers.

Along with the tourney we will once again be offering PDGA membership atva discount along with the club membership drive. As always we will also have plenty of ice bowl gear for sale.

This is my favorite tourney of the year I hope to see everyone there! May you all have a great and safe Christmas and we'll see you soon.

Des Moines Disc Golf Club
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Re: 2014 Des Moines Ice Bowl Jan 25th

Postby Solomon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:06 am

I am excited to play in my first Ice Bowl this year, and have a couple quick questions before the tournament. I have only played a couple rounds in the snow, and spent almost as much time searching for discs as throwing them. Will there be spotters for discs that go under the snow? If not, do we modify the discs with ribbons or some other marker? Assuming it will still be very cold out there, will fingerless gloves be allowed? I'm sure that there are other questions I am missing right now. Is there a FAQ that I should read?

Thank you,

Solomon
Solomon

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:36 am

Other than you and the people on your card, there will not be spotters. Gloves are recommended. It's an Ice bowl so I don't think anyone would care if you had ribbons on your discs. Other than that, the warm up this weekend should hopefully take care of a lot of this snow. Don't throw white if you can avoid it. For the most part all the holes are around 200ish ft, so losing discs isn't a huge problem, but it does happen. Have your name on them and a phone number and most get returned that day, or later on.
SARG27044

Postby jlabresh1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 pm

So how will the chili cook off work? should we bring a crockpot?
Also... how much will memberships be?

Thanks.

-J-
jlabresh1

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:18 pm

jlabresh1 wrote:So how will the chili cook off work? should we bring a crockpot?
Also... how much will memberships be?

Thanks.

-J-

yes, bring a crockpot (and extension cord) of your favorite chili if you would like to participate/help feed the players for lunch. We typically have several people judge each of the chilis and each year's best chili wins a prize. The last few years we've had about 10 different kinds of chili. The club always makes a huge batch too, and provides the bowls, spoons, crackers, and cheese.

If you're talking about PDGA memberhsips, you will be able to renew/sign up for PDGA memberships. Am memberships are $50 regular price, but you can get yours at the Ice Bowl through the Des Moines Disc Golf Club affiliate program for $45. So basically you save $5.
GDL17921

Postby Solomon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:26 pm

What was the final total on donations to the Food Bank?
Solomon

Return to Iowa Tournaments