course work

Postby treeMD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 am

The issue i see with 4s teepad is having to find a semi flat spot to put it. If the city doesnt want to spend money on a bridge that everyone can use, then i dont see them spending money on landscaping to make the teepad level if its moved up the hillside. Also nut sure how close to the new drainage creek they will want it either. So i see the tee as being limited to moving forward from where it was, perhaps quite a bit forward, which would require at least a new location for the short pin.

A couple other changes i would suggest would be to move threes long right pin down closer to the new pond, bringing it into play more. Also moving 6s short pin(which ive never seen used) between the other two pins, bringing the pond into play again, if you go long
Q 32845
treeMD

Postby discdude08 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 am

I hear you on the landscaping.... we will have to see what they will do. If they can cut out a little spot i can do some retaining wall work myself... Depending on how tall the wall would be...

if they get us new sleeves like i hope 3 will have a Placement short of the pond, just beyond the pond and the long right still. 6 the short pin is missing yet to be located... but ideally the long and left existing will bring the creek and pond into play... more for the left as we will move it a little closer to both. Also 2 will have the pond and run off more into play now and the long pin has a better shot to it from the tee... still risky but a little more forgiving.

TreeMD i would also like to get together with you some time and talk about the issue on 14 with the trees. The city has said they will go back there and clean it up but not until the ground is dry and would not get me an estimated time frame. I am at liberty to do the work myself but could use your expertise in the operation.
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

Postby treeMD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am

Honestly, that mess on 14 is very dangerous, lots of big wood barely being held up and twisted into other trees. You almost gotta get some big equipment in there to get it safely to the ground
Q 32845
treeMD

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:00 pm

so that new bridge that Bettendorf doesn't want to fund, have they explored the possiblity of a Boy Scout project to save money? :idea:
GDL17921

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Good idea Jay. Would it be possible to put a walkway (sort of a bridge) over/on one of the rock dams?

Is the long left pin for #3 damaged and unusable? I prefer that placement to the long right pin. (Because I don't have the arm to get it there... :oops: )

Putting 4's Tee near the manhole would take about the same amount of work that it took to put in 8's Tee. If I remember correctly, it wasn't that bad.

Good ideas guys!!
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby discdude08 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 am

Steady: Yes they did talk about a scout project but the span was too far for them, to cover. There is talk of doing a natural style bridge but there are concerns about it washing away or being just the same as the as the rocks already there. 3's long pin in the trees is destroyed. it has been replaced once already and destroyed a second time. If we can get enough sleeves it is on the list for ones to replace. If we moved 4's teed pad up the hill behind the man hole where the flat spot is it would cause some conflicts with that location. The skipping and hyzer shots that come up a little short would collect right in that area. I am ok with this as long as others are too and as long as we pay attention to the incoming shots.

We may be able to get the scouts to do a bridge further up stream where the creek isnt as wide, more like 100' or so in front of 4's teepad. this would obviously cause fairway issues on both 4 and 5 due to the traffic coming off 6 heading to 7. It is an option.

With that said, who is opposed to keeping 6 the way it is and making that hole 5. Taking hole 5 and reversing it keeping the existing short and middle pins and moving the long just short of the red bridge near the creek. This means all players crossing would use the red bridge already there. the new 6 (old 5) would tee from the long pin location. The new A location would be a 225' slight up hill shot with trees, B would be a 375' up hill shot with low ceiling and trees and the C would be the 375' shot with the water hazard OB right. It would allow for the option of a duece hole in the short but a potential 4 with the C pin. Just another idea to keep flow and save money.

I am still waiting for the idea that keeps the course as is but allows for 6-7 traffic to cross safely.
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am

Here's another idea to chew on. From hole 3 - stay on that side of the creek and use the land on that side of the creek to design new holes 4 and 5 (where current hole 5 and 6 are), then cross up where you're talking about at the red bridge, and reverse hole 4 (which becomes new hole 6), which would put you a street crossing from hole 7's tee.
GDL17921

Postby discdude08 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am

GDL: i do like the idea except a huge part of getting city to make the pond the way they did was for hole 3. The big down hill over the pond throw. And even if we did make the new 4 and 5 as you said we would still run into the issue of the bridge. If we threw up torwards it and away again we still end up where we started, away from the current bridge.
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 am

that's cool. Used to live there, and I'm not there anymore. I suppose I need to have a look at what's been done to perhaps offer better ideas. I didn't realize they extended the pond . So how does that affect hole 2?
GDL17921

Postby discdude08 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 pm

No worries. They have made #2's water hazard behind the short larger and on the other side of the land bridge between 2 and 3 now has water. (where the swamp was) in the process they have actually opened up the long pin on 2 for a slightly more forgiving tee shot to the pin. When its all said and done it will be a great feature for the surrounding holes.
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 pm

sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the description, well written.
GDL17921

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 pm

discdude08 wrote:Who is opposed to keeping 6 the way it is and making that hole 5. Taking hole 5 and reversing it keeping the existing short and middle pins and moving the long just short of the red bridge near the creek. This means all players crossing would use the red bridge already there. the new 6 (old 5) would tee from the long pin location. The new A location would be a 225' slight up hill shot with trees, B would be a 375' up hill shot with low ceiling and trees and the C would be the 375' shot with the water hazard OB right. It would allow for the option of a duece hole in the short but a potential 4 with the C pin. Just another idea to keep flow and save money.

I am still waiting for the idea that keeps the course as is but allows for 6-7 traffic to cross safely.

I like this!

Here are the Stats from the last couple years for old hole 5, Pro and Adv:
Long pin, 39% were 3's, 55% were 4's, 6% were 5's. (2012 Middle Singles)
Long pin, 37% were 3's, 46% were 4's, 17% were 5's. (2011 QCC)
Middle pin, 11% were 2's, 72% were 3's, 17% were 4's. (2011 QCC)

The middle pin just wasn't good IMHO. The long did provide some decent scoring spread, more so for the pros.

Would placing a pin near the red bridge make it long enough for a par 4?? Since the new tee shot would require an uphill throw would that make it far enough. I'd like the pin to be tucked close to the OB creek. Too bad you couldn't stretch the long pin closer to old 5's tee. You don't want to interfere with the traffic coming from 4 to old hole 6 though.

I really like your ideas Brandon.
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Steady 26542

Postby discdude08 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks Steady! I would like the long to be inside the crcle from the ob. We could also do a long by the old tee for tournament only use..... just possibilities.
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

Re: course work

Postby Steady 26542 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Played the front today. Hole 2 plays well. Much more danger. I watched two groups throw tee shots on 2 and 3 into the new pond.

I played hole 4 with the flags being the new tee box. I played an easy hyzer over the road for a simple 3. Boring. I'm guessing you're thinking about making a mando so you can't throw over the road. No way I could get to the new short pin off the tee. Me personally, I'd like to see the short pin 50' shorter and closer to the road and also put the mando in place. It's probably not a good idea throwing over the road anyway.

New hole 6 is marked and I played it to just short of the bridge. Plays like it's about 400' for me. Hyzer over the creek, 100' upshot. Easy 3. No way I'll ever get close enough for a 2, but that's ok. I'm guessing the other pins are short left and further up the hill to the left. Not sure what else can be done with that hole.

Course was in good shape. I need to put more trash bags in the car. I need to clean up the back side.
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Steady 26542

Re: course work

Postby Buzzz Killington » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Ooooh ooooh, bridges, YES!
Played the Rumble this weekend and my foot went right through 17's "bridge."
I'd rather walk through mud than roll an ankle if ya know what I mean. Even if a new bridge doesn't happen for awhile, I think it'd be a good idea to get rid of the busted pallet.
Other than that, the course was looking good! Props to yous guys
Buzzz Killington

PreviousNext

Return to Bettendorf - Middle Park