2008 Iowa City League

Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and surrounding area leagues.

2008 Iowa City League

Postby Kelly K » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:11 pm

The past few years this has been a pretty unofficial league, no dues or anything, just a show up and play if you want/can. Although I didn't make it to any league nights last year, they have been held on tuesday nights, close to 5:30, rotating courses.

Is everyone ok with keeping this informal and on Tuesday nights? Should we have a meeting to discuss this and other things (like worknights etc.) or would everyone prefer someone to just make the decision?

Discuss :D
Kelly K

Postby OU812_LukeS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm down for the usual, this is a good way to get newcomers into the mix and also fun watching Harper do his thing. More of an open/impromptu weekly outing.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby adodds32078 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Im definitely interested in playing some league nights this year but I have class until 6:20 on tuesday nights. I get out at 5:20 on Mondays and Wednesdays and would be able to make it out around 5:30 if thats possible at all.
adodds32078

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Bushwhackers are wednesdays.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:53 pm

with cr league on tuesday, bushwhackers on wednesday i think thursday would be the next best thing for a league night. if ic does its thing on tuesday maybe have it cost 5 bucks to play with random dubs or individual score, otherwise it's just heading out to play which doesn't fall under the "league" context. it is nice to have it open to everyone who wants to show, where as bushwhackers is invite only and cr is team play.

can't wait, the season is upon us :wink:
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby IHearChains » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:19 pm

Tues works for me although 5:45 would be better, at least until May.

I'm just glad to have a scheduled weekly time, as this eliminates the need for weekly negotiation with the Director of Home Operations.

greco19536 wrote: if ic does its thing on tuesday maybe have it cost 5 bucks to play with random dubs or individual score, otherwise it's just heading out to play which doesn't fall under the "league" context.

I only played a few times with this group last fall and enjoyed it and learned a few things. Just heading out to play is fine with me, whether it "falls under the league context" or not. Although I think Harpers a great guy, I don't have any desire to give him 5 bucks every week. :D
IHearChains

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:23 pm

word, different strokes for different folks
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Kelly K » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:19 am

I would think that IF, and that's a big IF, money is involved, the money would go towards the "league" fund, which we use around here to pay for things we need for course improvement for our 3 courses. IMO, our unofficial "league" (and i really am using that term loosely) is really for unexperienced players to get the chance to play with experienced players and learn things, there's not much of a competition aspect to it, and I don't know that anyone has ever thrown down money to play. We definitely don't keep spreadsheets of scores and have handicaps and all that stuff.

All i'm trying to find out is majority concensus if tuesdays are still good for everyone. monday's we are trying to have worknights and we don't want to interfere with bushwackers on wednesdays. :)

discuss:
Kelly K

Postby prodiscgolf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 am

I'm in for another year of "league". Like Greg, I need a weeknight I can tell the family I've got to practice. For me, I only have Monday or Tuesday nights until mid-May. After that, I can do Wednesday or Thursday nights.

I really do like the informal structure because I get to play rounds with some great friends and make some new ones.

If you take money from the league members to pay for course improvements it's like taxing those who always do the work. If we attracted a bunch of people who didn't help us, I might consider that, but we're already paying a considerable price with sweat equity.
prodiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:39 am

i can see your point jeff, and it makes a lot of sense. that's why i put a BIG IF on that.
Kelly K

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:59 am

you guys could start a basket fund (savings), to be used for baskets/equipment that needs to be replaced from time to time due to theft, repairs, etc. Just an idea.
GDL17921

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:38 am

i'm just trying to cover my bum here, i wasn't trying to be critical of the ic league. i came down to play last year so i'm all about it :)
Last edited by 3x state champ runner up on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
3x state champ runner up

Postby cmlasley » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:40 am

Tuesday at 5:30 is fine for me. When do we start.

Sidenote: Paying $5/wk would use up my $20/mo. allowance, deterring me from attendance.
Morgan Lasley

When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley

Postby OU812_LukeS » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:58 am

cmlasley wrote:Tuesday at 5:30 is fine for me. When do we start.

Sidenote: Paying $5/wk would use up my $20/mo. allowance, deterring me from attendance.

Just show up and stay out of the cash game. You can be there to calculate Jeff's winnings.
OU812_LukeS

Postby OU812_LukeS » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 am

GDL17921 wrote:you guys could start a basket fund (savings), to be used for baskets/equipment that needs to be replaced from time to time due to theft, repairs, etc. Just an idea.

It's a good idea. We've been fortunate enough thus far to have a core group of people who (A.) kick butt at organizing and soliciting donations, and (B.) put in the time on a committed basis to work on the courses. I'm sure some cash games will show up here and there with the right group of players but it will all be in good fun, we're lucky to not be under pressure to cough up equipment fundage from the player pockets right now (as far as I know!)
OU812_LukeS

Next

Return to Iowa City/Cedar Rapids