needs guidance

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:21 am

I finally got a hold of the parks guy and he gave me a number of a Boy Scout he is allowing to put in the course for an Eagle Scout project.
I called the kid and he said he definately needed help as he has never played "frisbee" golf before. :roll:
He said the park guy gave him a map of the area he wanted the course to fit into. :shock:
I'm meeting him this Thursday at 5:00 to see what "will fit" into the land he wants to use. This should be good.
The course is to be completed by the park grand opening date sometime in September.

AO, you said you wanted in on this, right? If you can make it, PM me.
Oh, and bring you putters. :lol:
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby hyzerman16234 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:I finally got a hold of the parks guy and he gave me a number of a Boy Scout he is allowing to put in the course for an Eagle Scout project.
I called the kid and he said he definately needed help as he has never played "frisbee" golf before. :roll:
He said the park guy gave him a map of the area he wanted the course to fit into. :shock:
I'm meeting him this Thursday at 5:00 to see what "will fit" into the land he wants to use. This should be good.
The course is to be completed by the park grand opening date sometime in September.

Maybe it could be a super class course like Wakema. :lol:
hyzerman16234

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:51 pm

hyzerman16234 wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:I finally got a hold of the parks guy and he gave me a number of a Boy Scout he is allowing to put in the course for an Eagle Scout project.

Maybe it could be a super class course like Wakema. :lol:

That wouldn't be so bad would it? :wink:
Aaahhh, the memories. :)
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:21 am

I walked through the park with Garret, the boy scout in charge of installing the course. He seems like a great kid.
It looks like, with the land available, it will be very Tourist-like.
I tried to incorporate all the "hazards" I could to make up for the lack of length.
There is a fenceline with heavy timber/brush you do not want to be in on a couple holes, a possible water hazard on one hole (depending on how much it has rained) and numerous big old trees to thread through.
There are a couple open holes also.
There are some intersting shots but don't expect a challenging championship course, that's for sure. This will strictly be a technical, mid-range/putter course. To my suprise, there may be a couple 250'-280' holes though. :wink:

Garret was to meet with the park guy to approve what we have designed.
I hope they don't vary to far from the plan because some of the pin and tee locations i suggested either make or break the individual hole design.
They were planning on having 8' x 8' pads and I promptly put a stop to that. I told them to change that to 4'-5' wide and 10'-12' long. I was pleasantly suprised they were having pads installed at all because the old course had grass tee pads.

I heard that there is another boy scout wanting to install a back nine sometime in the future. The city is planning on buying 9 more baskets for that. I scoped that area out and can really only find room for another 5 or 6 holes but we'll see. There is some timber land that would be cool to see if you could carve 3 holes out of but it looks really dense. I'd almost rather have them extend the course to include that area and make a better 9 hole course, but alas, I'm not in charge.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Grimm » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Any word on this course yet? Last time I was at the park it was basically done. There is a lot of parking space; it looked like Walmart.
They still have 9 baskets just sitting around.
Grimm

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:41 pm

The boy scout project is coming along, the baskets are in the ground.
The tee pads are in the process of being dug and framed.
I would say they should be done in the next couple weeks.
I'm not sure about signs now or in the future.

Just driving through the park, it looks like the first four holes have been moved from the original plan but the last five are close to the original design.

I'll post when the course is fully playable.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:22 am

The pads have been poured and are playable although they need back filled around the edges and more in some places.
The tee signs/posts were installed on the back corner of each pad! :shock: I contacted the scout via e-mail about the issues this will cause with run ups but have not received a response back yet. Hopefully this will be addressed.

Overall, this course has a lot of fun factor for another little 9 holer.
Some short technical, reachable shots and a couple bombers out in the open which are 380' to over 400'. These are the last two holes which play slightly uphill. Most every drive, except for those two holes, makes you think about how you want to attack the hole, with multiple options available and some OB fence to consider.
It is a great addition to the area and another option to hit up before or after playing Wildcat Bluff or stopping between CR and Wloo.

Oh, and if you don't like the course, I had nothing to do with it. :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Kern » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Played the course today and i would say its a fun little 9 hole park but those tee signs need to be moved, every time i would throw my drive i could not get it out of my head that i might smack one on my follow through. Besides that it is a good course.
Kern

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Kern wrote:Played the course today and i would say its a fun little 9 hole park but those tee signs need to be moved, every time i would throw my drive i could not get it out of my head that i might smack one on my follow through. Besides that it is a good course.

Yeah, I'm getting a little frustrated about the sign posts Dan.
First they were at the back right corner of the pads and I told them to move them to the front area 5' to the right side. Now, at 1' away from the front right corner, it's worse then before. I e-mailed the the scout's dad today and told him they need to be moved away from the pads. The city's main concern is extra trimming work. I told him to see how wide the city's mowers are and put the posts a mowers width away from the pads.

We'll see where they end up next time. :?
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 pm

I got an e-mail today and the sign posts have been moved. :D
They have also put in a block retaining wall by #7 pad and mowed the rough by #4 basket.

Played with Tim Peyton Saturday and found out how lefty friendly this course really is. :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Previous

Return to Center Point - Fross Park