This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby irban » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:15 am

More like, what if someone came in, had to eat a steak or die, but didn't have any money. And the restaurant is required by law to give them a steak if they will die without it. So the restaurant eats the bill. The people in the other room, and all other customers, end up paying for the steak. Not directly but because the cost of doing business includes paying for steaks for people who will die without it.

But say all people have insurance. And the people who can't afford it are subsidized by the people who can, with the money they're already paying in increased costs. Now people come in before they are nearly dead with starvation, and they don't require a steak, only a hamburger and some veggies, lower cost over all, fewer people at the edge of starvation. Win win.

A pretty tortured metaphor. Also, not a perfect analogy, since all people eat but not all people have the same severity of health problems. The principal of insurance is to spread the cost incurred by a few, over a big group, afterall. And it works because no one knows which of the many will get sick.

I know it is asking a lot to see past the bile being spewed by the koch bros. et al, particularly if that is all you hear. But, can't hurt to try.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby tufluk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:22 pm

I don't agree with the law saying that the restaurant has to feed the guy.

I found it telling that Jessica Sanford said she was embarrassed, when after bragging about getting the taxpayers to pay for her insurance, she didn't qualify.

She should have been embarrassed because she chose a bum to have a baby with. She doesn't receive child support. She wants me to buy her insurance. THAT is embarrassing.
tufluk

Postby irban » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:03 pm

tufluk wrote:I don't agree with the law saying that the restaurant has to feed the guy.

So you think hospitals should just turn people away that can't pay? Send them out to die in the street? Seems kind of Ayn Randish to me.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Oh, and this whole idea that the poor are a bunch of lazy bums that don't feel like working is a crock of shit. Most of those people work harder than you do I bet. Easy to scapegoat someone with no political power.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Bugslayer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Now now Irban....The GOP represent those who pay them quite well, and as such, that is all they worry about taking care of! While they vote against the poor having food or healthcare, they make sure they pay fewer taxes on those minimum wage jobs they hold :roll:

As stated, Tuf would much rather have those that can't afford health insurance to openly die in the streets, rather than bother the rich by making them pay the same taxes their fathers did. That is the GOP utopia....the very rich living off the best the country can offer....with the poor dying of starvation and disease in the streets! Sounds a bit like 18th century France....just let them eat cake right Tuf?

ROTFL only if they can charge the poor for the cake! I can understand your abject fear of revolution.....with that kind of mind set it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sacrifice the many to protect the few!
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby tufluk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 pm

You seem to think poorness, the state of being poor, just falls out of the sky.

It's simple to be poor. Just go ahead and don't earn much. I'm sure it sucks. It's supposed to. Let's not subsidize it.

It's tough to succeed. But it's a good thing. Let's not punish it.

Excepting those born with severe physical handicaps, you don't suppose poor personal choices, lack of study in school, drugs/alcohol, and/or sloth have any part to play in the station one finds themselves in?

I've never belonged to an organized religion. In my adult life, I'm never in church, excepting an occasional wedding or funeral.

I resent anyone who wants to force me into following the religious values of charity and compassion, by stealing my earnings (or anyone else's) and passing them to someone else. If you want to send old Jessica Sanford a check to subsidize her lifestyle, go ahead. I'm not Mother Teresa.

In my view, there is no difference between having more children than one can afford, and buying a car, boat or house one can't afford. Money's tight? Tough. Maybe ya shoulda thought of that before you made your choice. It's not my problem. And mine aren't yours.

Google "Liverpool care pathway. The Brits' national health system has protocols for those who can't hang. They're coming here. You support Obamacare and call me uncaring. The only difference between you guys and me is I'm honest.

If your goal is failure, it's easy to succeed. Me
tufluk

Postby tufluk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 pm

irban wrote:Oh, and this whole idea that the poor are a bunch of lazy bums that don't feel like working is a crock of shit. Most of those people work harder than you do I bet. Easy to scapegoat someone with no political power.

That's a bet you'd lose. I play harder than some work. I'm not scapegoating anyone, I just want them to leave me alone.

I had a saying when I was growing up, "we're not poor, we just don't have any money." 6 kids, stay at home mom, dad 2 jobs. Tough.

Decided that lifestyle wasn't for me. Always worked, always had a few bucks, 1 kid, live modestly. Didn't take, don't want to give. 'Nuf said.
tufluk

Postby Bugslayer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 am

tufluk wrote:Excepting those born with severe physical handicaps, you don't suppose poor personal choices, lack of study in school, drugs/alcohol, and/or sloth have any part to play in the station one finds themselves in?

Really? LOL that is so much crap dude! The IH retirees? The people who worked at Enron? Lehman Brothers? People who toe the line and work hard can suddenly find themselves without, and for those folks? Too bad you're screwed? Not right....NOT AMERICAN!

As you said you toed the line...if Deere suddenly went down as IH did and your retirement benefits are suspended....is that your poor life choices?...too much drug abuse? A man like yourself could look at you and tell you..."should 've worked a second and third job instead of playing Disc golf!" That was your life choice! McDonalds is hiring and if that doesn't make enough to feed your family ...oh well, once a few die off from starvation there will be enough food for the rest of your family? If one happens to get sick? Keep feeding him big macs and hope for the best?

What do you tell the good and decent people down in Williamsfield? Poor life choice living there near Peoria! So what your house blew down and your place of employment is gone....piss off? I would like to help feed you but it might mean I have less? I know you for a better man that that Tuf! At times the state of poor DOES simply fall from the sky....ask Peoria!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:57 am

In other news, we just got notice that our contributions to our kids' college funds are no longer deductible from our state income tax. Thanks NC GOP! Let's see.....these geniuses discourage people from saving for their kids to get an education, thus creating more "uneducated sloths" that they hate so much. And remember, this is the party that HATES taxes. I guess removing a tax break (that pays for future education!) isn't the same as raising taxes, right?
grodney

Postby Bugslayer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:14 pm

PS Tuf.....many of the people who benefit from food stamps are children, and how did they make mistakes to lead up to their situation? Or are you for making the children pay for the mistakes of their fathers? Dad owes $10,000 to the bank off goes the son to debtors prison? IS that the GOP answer to dealing with the needy?

The GOP is not for educating the masses, it is harder to make educated people scared of things that don't exist!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby tufluk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:27 am

http://youtu.be/kXRm0yVyn7k

Peter only denied 3 times.
tufluk

Postby Bugslayer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 pm

WOW...You've only been denied peter 3 times! :shock LOL...kinda weird place to announce that ROTFL

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby irban » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Bugslayer wrote:WOW...You've only been denied peter 3 times! :shock LOL...kinda weird place to announce that ROTFL

Sounds like a pretty good percentage.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby irban » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Glad they're going ahead with the nuclear option. The repubs act like we'll regret it when the shoe is on the other foot. Chuck gassbag even asked how we would feel if another scalia or thomas came up, and we didn't have the filibuster. Ummm, chuck, we have scalia and thomas in now. We didn't inappropriately use the filibuster for them, why would next time be any different ya dick .

And, you just know the first time a Dem tries to filibuster a repub presidents nominee, they'll do away with it themselves anyway. At least now we have the opportunity to even out the courts a little bit.

~~~- ¥
irban

Postby irban » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:30 am

"But by the time the Bush era was winding down, the whole administration, including the president, was stewed in terrible, Cheney-level disapproval ratings. And now, no one who played a significant role in that administration is anywhere to be found in electoral politics, beyond the tertiary orbits of Punch-and-Judy cable news and the remains of what used to be the conservative 'think tank' circuit."

-Rachel Maddow: How George W. Bush failed the GOP

Love me some Rachel Maddow. "Punch-and-Judy cable news", perfect.
~~~- ¥
irban

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff