This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Bugslayer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 am

Guns and misinformation....Apartheid! It didn't work for the South Africans why does Bubba and Scooter think it will work for them?
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby O_D » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:56 am

I should know better than to voice an opinion you guys don't agree with, but...
- As Brian pointed out earlier, I think we can all agree with some type of universal background check for legal purchase of fire arms. No real need for personal assault rifles, etc. (exception, have you guys seen that show Yukon Men? One dude carries an M16 (or something similar) on his ATV/Snowmobile as defense/hunting bears/wolverines)
- I think you all are a little naive about what these super dooper gun control laws would actually do. If "bad guys" want to get guns, they are going to get them. How many thousands of lbs of drugs come across our borders? You don't think guns will be trafficked the same way?
- Home many crimes involving guns were acquired legally in the first place? There's a stat somewhere on that.
- I think nothing is getting passed as it is viewed as the "slippery slope". What's next? I know some folks ARE legitimately concerned they will not be able to have guns in their homes for hunting and/or personal defense. You going to take away the .410 my grandpa gave me as a kid?
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby irban » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:31 am

Seems to me the slippery slope we're on is toward more powerful guns, and more of them. And sure, we aren't going to solve everything with any law, but there is a hole in any system that allows a straw buyer to acquire wholesale numbers of guns at a gun show, with no accountability. You're right, the background check wouldn't catch a clean straw buyer, which points to a need for greater accounting of guns and inventory. These guys act like the government is taking inventory so they know where all the guns are when we become a totalitarian state. But the NRA/Gun Manufacturers really just want a hindrence free path to gun sales. They don't give a phuck about where the guns are going.

And regarding stats, the gun lobby has been systematically undermining our ability to keep track of gun related statistics, and gutting the ATF. What do you suppose they are afraid of? I think mainly that we'll see that gun self-defense is counter productive. And that we'll find better ways to stem the flow of guns to the streets.

We should be able to figure out a middle ground path, that would offer some relief, but as is typical, the right and the NRA take a scorched earth position on everything, bullying their way past meaningful debate.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:13 pm

I don't disagree with most of what you said Jason, but I think something that gets overlooked on the side of "bad guys get guns regardless" argument. I mean, anybody in Iowa that smokes grass knows about dry spells... Sometimes there just isn't anything around, and you probably know a guy that has something, but he overcharges and it might not be very good either. So you'll probably just wait.. .unless you really, really, need it.

There has never been a gun dry spell in this Country in my lifetime. Everybody has them, there's an abundance, they are cheap, easy to get-trade-sell. It doesn't matter if you're a legit collector, or hunter, a hitman, or a serial bank robber. There's no shortage anywhere. IF we make laws that start to reduce the availability, it's going to reduce the numbers within our borders. It's also (and this ultimately may be the biggest difference) going to make it less attractive for manufacturers to design 8 new .380's a year and roll a half mil of each off the production line.

It's a saturated market.. and we need to define a ceiling. Our policies should reflect a culture of reducing gun ownership... mind you, that doesn't mean taking your grandpa's rifle... it just means stop the culture of buy*buy*buy in the industry so manufacturers stop being irresponsible and misleading.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Not going to garner an opinion but to add to the shortage convo, I have a lady friend who is in sales at a local wholesaler and she said the last few months for sales have been crazy and that she's had to turn people down because they have no guns to sell. Seems the manufacturers cannot keep up with demand. This may not be the definition of a long term shortage, but a shortage none the same.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Bugslayer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 pm

The ammo shortage is as manufactured as the gas shortage in the 70s! Just rednecks reacting..... just the way they were supposed to.
The NRA is owned by the gun manufacturers, the members dance to the tune that is whistled. 12 years ago the GOPers were all for ID checks, but the gun dealers convinced them that was bad....yeah bad for thier business! The tune changed and now they do a different dance.

The funny thing is I keep hearing the claim "law abiding gun owners" yet I keep hearing that if the laws are changed they won't turn in thier guns! Then they aren't REALLY law abiding are they? A guy can make an arguement for an AR15 (a weak one albiet) but make a good arguement why you need a whole damn rack of them?....... Invading a small island? .......are they so crappy you need 10 to get one to work right?

I have no problem with hunting rifles,shotguns even pistols....but if you want to play with military weapons join up, and have at it, other than that I see no need in them.
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby 10up » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Bugslayer wrote:...if you want to play with military weapons join up, and have at it,

and why this isn't the mantra of the Fed and the Military is beyond me...
10up

Postby 10up » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:Not going to garner an opinion but to add to the shortage convo, I have a lady friend who is in sales at a local wholesaler and she said the last few months for sales have been crazy and that she's had to turn people down because they have no guns to sell. Seems the manufacturers cannot keep up with demand. This may not be the definition of a long term shortage, but a shortage none the same.

Those guns they're buying don't disappear... they're making an entrance into the proverbial "pool". You don't get my point of "shortage" apparently.. Using a manufactured crisis to create a rush which further saturates the amount of guns in the public, then "forces" manufacturers to ramp up production and ship out more guns that will eventually further saturate the pool, really only perpetuates the problem.. The manufacturer really can't experience a "shortage"... if they do it's a bad thing for the cause guy.
10up

Postby medicinal funk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
medicinal funk

Postby Like_Water » Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 am

The parents should be charged with manslaughter at the minimum.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130501/NEWS07/305010075/child-shoots-kills-sister-rifle-gift

BURKESVILLE, KENTUCKY — Authorities say a 5-year-old child in Kentucky shot and killed his 2-year-old sister with a rifle he got as a gift.

Local coroner Gary White tells WKYT-TV that the mother said she had been outside on a porch for “no more than three minutes” on Thursday when the shooting occurred.

White also told the Lexington Herald-Leader the boy’s .22-caliber rifle was a present and he is used to shooting it. He said the rifle was kept in a corner and the family didn’t realize a shell was left inside it.

White says the shooting will be ruled accidental. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.[/QUOTE]
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Like_Water » Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 am

Like_Water

Postby grodney » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 am

grodney

Postby irban » Thu May 02, 2013 8:13 am

Like_Water wrote:monsanto

Yes, I hate it when the administration shows us that they're basically just moderate republicans. This too for instance.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Like_Water » Thu May 02, 2013 9:42 pm

irban wrote:
Like_Water wrote:monsanto

Yes, I hate it when the administration shows us that they're basically just moderate republicans. This too for instance.

They are just on the payroll. There's no difference.
Like_Water

Postby irban » Thu May 09, 2013 1:08 pm

It amazes me that we continue to elect scorched earth political idealogues who are morons on fiscal policy, to make critical economic decisions for us.

Ya think?!
~~~- ¥
irban

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff