This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Like_Water » Tue May 14, 2013 10:53 am

Wtf is it with 4 year olds killing people?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nati ... 0152.story

Mental health needs to be examined for kids straight from the womb.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
User avatar
Like_Water
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 am
Location: Milky Way

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby grodney » Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Like_Water wrote:Wtf is it with 4 year olds killing people?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nati ... 0152.story

Mental health needs to be examined for kids straight from the womb.


Problem isn't with the kids, it's with the parents. And the guns.

4-year olds don't have the cognitive capacity to differentiate real guns from fake guns, or death from life.

Honestly it happens all the time. I feel bad for the kids -- the dead, the injured, and the ones pulling the trigger. We're obviously not going to take away all the guns, so I guess we should just lock up the parents for eternity. Set a few examples like that and maybe the others will be more careful.
User avatar
grodney
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby irban » Tue May 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Yes, mental health likely had nothing to do with this. Just like the boy with the kid sized .22 last week.

Which brings me to another sore spot, the NRA and right acting like adding more mental health data to the background system is going to solve all of our problems. Most gun violence is not commited by deranged individuals. Maybe the high profile mass shootings, but that is a drop in the bucket statistically. And, if anything, mental health problems put people more at risk to be victims of violence, rather than perpetrators.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5233
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby medicinal funk » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm

paging tufluk to weigh in on this issue
Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
User avatar
medicinal funk
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:36 am
Location: cedar rapids

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby tufluk » Wed May 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Which issue? For the record: I'm against children being killed accidentally. This would include drowning, falls, suffocation, car accidents, poisoning, or by being shot. Furthermore, I'm against children being INTENTIONALLY harmed, abused, or otherwise mistreated. Hell, I'm even against kids getting sick. I am also against children being harassed by the IRS for whatever political beliefs they might hold. I hope this post has been helpful. :shock:
User avatar
tufluk
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 am
Location: Moline,IL

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Bugslayer » Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 pm

The issue with the kids being killed is the fact that their parents were irresponsible gun owners. "We didn't know it was loaded" is code for...I was too drunk,lazy or stupid to check if my kids gun had teeth, and because of it they paid an extremely high price. As far as the IRS checking on political organizations filing for special tax exempt status....bout damn time! Check them even harder than they did last time....but check them ALL out! Not just the conservative ones....ANY organization filing for tax exempt status for the purpose of controlling an election should be rechecked repeatedly!
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: Sherrard IL.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby IHearChains » Wed May 15, 2013 11:19 pm

tufluk wrote:For the record: I'm against children being killed accidentally.


Compassionate conservative street cred, Check.
:wink:
IHearChains
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Iowa City

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Like_Water » Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 am

Bugslayer wrote:The issue with the kids being killed is the fact that their parents were irresponsible gun owners.


Yep. But hey, can't do nothin bout that. Its in the constitution. Being dumb stupid and lazy aren't crimes, they are God given rights.

merica.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
User avatar
Like_Water
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 am
Location: Milky Way

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Cydisc » Thu May 16, 2013 9:44 am

There is no such thing as an accidental shooting. There are only intentional shootings and unintentional shootings due to negligence. There need to be harsher penalties for the latter for sure.
User avatar
Cydisc
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Ames, IA

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby irban » Thu May 16, 2013 10:59 am

Bugslayer wrote:As far as the IRS checking on political organizations filing for special tax exempt status....bout damn time! Check them even harder than they did last time....but check them ALL out! Not just the conservative ones....ANY organization filing for tax exempt status for the purpose of controlling an election should be rechecked repeatedly!

Really! I thought you repubs were all about profiling. Don't fish where they ain't, right? It should be across the board though I agree. Start going after the churches who campaign from the pulpit too, I say.

Maddow talked about your second point yesterday. I hope the backlash on this thing doesn't keep them from doing the checks in the future. Still needed, just with more evenhandedness.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5233
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Bugslayer » Thu May 16, 2013 1:00 pm

wasn't it just a couple of months ago the GOP claimed it was no longer going to be the "stupid" party....still waiting for that to begin! The over the top hypocrisy of this group is unbelievable. I've heard the word impeachment used, talk about poke and hope! 12 years ago they impeached Clinton for a blowjob....now they re-elect Sanford...now that's family values! Impeach Clinton and now talk about impeachment for Obama, yet pardoned Nixon, turned their eyes away at Iran-Contra (Reagan/Bush) and let Bush lie his way into a war that has bankrupted our country, and Obama should be impeached because he didn't say terrorist attack early enough? ROTFL they are trying to tarnish a guy they just couldn't beat.
The GOP seems awfully concerned over Benghazi Consulate....."4 Americans died there!" my question is why is THIS consulate so important and the 10 consulates that were attacked while Georgie was in? Not so important are they JFYI

Jan22 2002 Kolkata 5 dead
june14 2002 Karachi 12 dead
Feb 28 2003 Islamabad 3 dead
June 30 2004 Tashkent 2 dead
Dec 6 2004 Saudi Arabia 9 dead
March 2 2006 Karachi 2 dead * Karachi was attacked twice in Georges reign...shouldn't that be explained? same spot slapped twice?
Sept 12 2006 Syria 4 dead
March 18 2008 Yemen 2 dead
July 9th 2008 Istanbul 6 dead
Sept 17th 2008 Yemen 16 dead * as above Yemen was hit twice also, but this time twice in one year


10 consulates attacked..... 61 americans lost....questions asked by the GOP about it 0....in fact the GOP cut the budget that protect the consulates

GOP....business as usual...the dumbasses just passed a bill to repeal Obamacare for the 37th time.....THE 37th TIME! If you want your popularity to go up, try doing your job instead of trying to undoing Obamas work, you lost, get over it.
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: Sherrard IL.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby tufluk » Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 pm

THIS DOES NOT EXPLAIN A LOT, IT EXPLAINS IT ALL.

Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views

•Weaker men more likely to support welfare state and wealth redistribution
•Link may reflect psychological traits that evolved in our ancestors
•Strength was a proxy for ability to defend or acquire resources

Men who are strong are more likely to take a right-wing stance, while weaker men support the welfare state, researchers claim. 'Nuf said!

Their study discovered a link between a man’s upper-body strength and their political views.
Scientists from Aarhus University in Denmark collected data on bicep size, socio-economic status and support for economic redistribution from hundreds in America, Argentina and Denmark.
Men who are physically strong - like Arnold Schwarzenegger - are more likely to take a right wing political stance

The figures revealed that men with higher upper-body strength were less likely to support left-wing policies on the redistribution of wealth.
Men with less upper body strength (girly men) are more likely to support the welfare state - like Labour leader Ed Miliband


But men with low upper-body strength were more likely to put their own self-interest aside and support a welfare state.


The researchers found no link between upper-body strength and redistribution opinions among women.


Professor Michael Petersen said: ‘In all three countries, physically strong males consistently pursued the self-interested position on redistribution.

‘However physically weak males were more reluctant to assert their self-interest – just as if disputes over national policies were a matter of direct physical confrontation between individuals.

‘While many people think of politics as a modern phenomenon, it has, in a sense, always been with our species.


‘Political views are designed by natural selection to function in the conditions recurrent over human evolutionary history.’

The findings were published in the journal Psychological Science.




Professor Petersen added: ‘Many previous studies have shown that people's political views cannot be predicted by standard economic models.


‘This is among the first studies to show that political views may be rational in another sense, in that they're designed by natural selection to function in the conditions recurrent over human evolutionary history.’
.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z2TW6dbkgy
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
User avatar
tufluk
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 am
Location: Moline,IL

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby IHearChains » Thu May 16, 2013 11:29 pm

Bugslayer: I don't disagree with the point you're trying to make, but you really undermine it by parroting leftwing extremist talking points drawn from internet memes that are demonstrably false. In the two incidents noted below, one American was killed, not the 22 that you claim. Some of the 61 dead were actually the perps, and most were not Americans.

----------

The 2008 United States consulate in Istanbul attack was a result of gunfire on the consulate resulting in six casualties; of which three were the three gunmen, and three Turkish National Police officers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Unite ... bul_attack

----------

Six members of the Yemeni security forces, six attackers (one of whom wore an explosives belt), and seven bystanders (one of whom was discovered later[8]) were killed in the attack.[4] Though no Americans working at the embassy were injured or harmed during the attack,[7] Susan el-Baneh, a newly married woman from New York, was killed along with her Yemeni husband while waiting outside to fill out paperwork.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_attac ... y_in_Yemen
IHearChains
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Iowa City

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Bugslayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:17 am

Tuf....in your post you made reference to the fact that stronger men are conservatives, which by the way I think is bull, like to see the author make that argument to my face....bet he finds a liberal leaning moderate showing him he is wrong....put his azz on a Judo mat with me and I bet I can get him to recant!

I noticed they didn't measure intellect on this survey, have read articles that state that liberals "on the whole" tend to be more smarter than conservatives. Brock University did a study called bright minds & dark attitudes, showing that Lower IQ goes hand in hand with both racism and conservative beliefs. GOP racists? absolutely! homophobic? Big Time! Michele Bachman......NUFF SAID! :shock:

Man rose to the top of the food chain NOT because he was stronger or faster, actually quite the opposite, they rose to prominence because of their intelligence! Who was stronger Neanderthals or present man? Seen any Neanderthals lately? (maybe you have..... you are a tea party/NRA member!) Beat your chest and pretend you are a manly man repubs! Your last 2 Presidents were non military serving cheerleaders! True manly men right?? ROTFL ....Christie better get his big butt to the gym, because after him you got squat to run next election!

Mr Chains!....you quibble over the numbers of dead, and who they belonged to. But I notice in your posting of numbers, you have avoided the number of hearing that were held by the GOP worried over consulate protection? Some of these were hit twice...in the same year? where was the hearings? where was the outrage? the GOP is playing politics with a guy they couldn't beat, so they try to dirty him up with over hyped bull!

I am shocked that the GOP didn't learn its' lesson in the election, divide and conquer isn't working for them anymore. The American public is watching them, NOT doing their jobs but trying to protect their jobs! :lol: If you doubt that statement, all I got to say is SCOREBOARD!....Prez Obama...new democratic seats in the house!
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: Sherrard IL.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby IHearChains » Fri May 17, 2013 11:05 am

Bugslayer wrote:Mr Chains!....you quibble over the numbers of dead, and who they belonged to. But I notice in your posting of numbers, you have avoided the number of hearing that were held by the GOP worried over consulate protection? Some of these were hit twice...in the same year? where was the hearings? where was the outrage? the GOP is playing politics with a guy they couldn't beat, so they try to dirty him up with over hyped bull!


You responded to "over hyped bull" by parroting a claim that 61 Americans died in those 10 attacks, which is false. You didn't respond to my evidence that it's false. Does that mean you're still standing by that claim?

I only looked at two most recent of the attacks you cited, and there was only one American dead, not 22, and it wasn't even a consulate employee. A lot of the 22 dead were actually the attackers. I'm not wasting any more time looking to see how false the rest of your claim was, I'll just assume the rest of it was "over hyped bull" too.

Like I said, I don't disagree with your point. I agree that the GOP is overhyping this. But why stoop even lower than them by propagating flat-out lies?
IHearChains
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Iowa City

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron