This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby grodney » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 am

It's really sick what's going on here, Brian. I don't want to sound like the doomsday idiot conservatives right before Obama was elected, so I'm not going to get into big huff and cry about it. But they really are taking this state backward -- and in a hurry.

Are we going to move? Probably not. But it's pretty sad that our state legislature has made us even consider it.
grodney

Postby gretagun » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:49 am

So let me get this correct. We have the 2nd Amendment and the 15th Amendment. On one hand, 2nd Amendment rights activists everywhere want to pass laws that make acquiring firearms easier and less burdensome ("hey, it's my constitutional right, I shouldn't have to be submitted to background rights and what kind of guns I can own"), but on the other, states like NC (and probably states that previously had to seek preclearance), are going to make it more difficult for people to exercise their 15th amendment rights? Seems totally fair and logical...
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby irban » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:21 am

grodney wrote:Are we going to move? Probably not. But it's pretty sad that our state legislature has made us even consider it.

Good. Stay and vote the bastards out. I don't think the majority of NC thinks these are the right things to do. Sounds like get out the vote may be harder now, but hopefully there is enough groundswell from this to push through it ( like the people who stood in line all day in FL.)
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:38 am

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 am

~~~- ¥
irban

Postby O_D » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:46 am

Recently had an incident that solidified my stance on right to bear arms.
- About 4 weeks ago 3:45AM caught some A-hole trying to get in thru our sliding patio door. Two nights later car alarm goes off about same time. Neighbors and about a 6 block area had similar reports
- We live in a decent neighborhood in WDM. Cops said they are seeing more and more of this, most likely coming from out of area, scoping out opportunities, hitting an leaving. (I actually saw some shady dudes sitting in a car the week before, but thought they were just smoking) Usually would see this crap during day with people at work, shows balls (or ignorance) to try to get in at night with people obviously home (car in driveway).
- After some research I'm getting one of these: www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?i ... bseries=41
I like that it can shoot shot - ie) won't go thru your target, then thru a wall, then thru your neighbors wall, then thru your neighbor. So I'm with most of you on Assault Rifle stance.
- I have 3 boys (6yr, 3yr, and 16 weeks). If there is a next time, dude is getting shot in the face.

In before the "nice story bro" post.

What say you liberals on this issue?
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby irban » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Don't leave it loaded lying around the house, and don't shoot the wrong person by accident. That is my liberal viewpoint about keeping a gun in your home. If you're talking concealed carry, don't get in an argument when you're drunk and shoot someone, and don't try to "protect" me or my family. That is the job of the police.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby O_D » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:23 pm

irban wrote:Don't leave it loaded lying around the house, and don't shoot the wrong person by accident. That is my liberal viewpoint about keeping a gun in your home. If you're talking concealed carry, don't get in an argument when you're drunk and shoot someone, and don't try to "protect" me or my family. That is the job of the police.

- Common Sense.
- I'm not getting CC.
- You're on your own

FWIW - I live about 4 blocks from WDM police station and it didn't deter. They were to our house in about 5 minutes after 911 call. Quick, but not quick enough if something serious were to occur.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby Like_Water » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:28 pm

It's obviously up to you OD. I definitely support that right.

Wouldn't ADT work? I understand the cost issue.

I remember being 7 or 8 and staying at a friends house....first time I'd ever held a .44 magnum. Not sure if it was loaded or not, glad I didn't find out. I think about that when considering having a gun in the house, especially with a son on the way.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Bugslayer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Nice choice with the Judge, that or a .40 if you live in an urban area. I'm a bit old fashioned, and I, like Tufluk, prefer a wheel gun.
I feel the same way Irban does, lock it away from kids, and all is cool. You can always go CC later if fear gets the better of you.
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby Cydisc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Home defense? 12 gauge.
Cydisc

Postby Like_Water » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:34 am

Speaking of shooting people...

Nice outfit :roll:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby O_D » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Interesting most of you have a "do what you want / it's up to you" point of view on this. Are you sure you're not a little conservative way down deep? Don't worry, I won't blow your cover across the interwebs.

TD - We now have ADT (if anyone wants ADT, my college roommate sells across the state). All ADT really does is make a lot of noise (if system is set) and in most cases will scare someone away. System goes thru a series of calls that take quite a bit of time to actually alert authorities. It's more the cracked out dudes that a weapon is for.
Also replaced some of our lights in back of house with photosensor auto-on and motion detector override that should scare off anyone before they would even try a door.

Steve - 12 ga shotguns are too long for close contact in a house.

I haven't gotten anything yet - I'm actually looking for a good case first. I want a combination lock that would allow fast access if needed, but way too complicated for kids to figure out. Any suggestions?
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby Cydisc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm

O_D wrote:Steve - 12 ga shotguns are too long for close contact in a house.

There are things called "saws".
Cydisc

Postby The Donator » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:49 pm

O_D wrote:TD - We now have ADT (if anyone wants ADT, my college roommate sells across the state). All ADT really does is make a lot of noise (if system is set) and in most cases will scare someone away. System goes thru a series of calls that take quite a bit of time to actually alert authorities. It's more the cracked out dudes that a weapon is for.
Also replaced some of our lights in back of house with photosensor auto-on and motion detector override that should scare off anyone before they would even try a door.

Steve - 12 ga shotguns are too long for close contact in a house.

Yeah thieves/criminals are way past completely outdated alarm systems. Wouldnt go with Steve and watch a lot of Westerns and use a 12 gauge either. I cannot own a gun, but if i did I can give you a lot of options for your situation. May talk to you about it next Thursday.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff