This explains a lot.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: This explains a lot.

Postby Cydisc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Cydisc

Postby irban » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 pm

O_D wrote:Interesting most of you have a "do what you want / it's up to you" point of view on this. Are you sure you're not a little conservative way down deep? Don't worry, I won't blow your cover across the interwebs.

Ummm, really? What part of background checks, gun registration and a functioning ATF indicates I don't want anyone to have guns? (I own a gun.)

Are you sure you don't have a little of this guy in you way down deep?... :P

"Therr cummin fer ar guns, merica"
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:41 pm

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby tufluk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 pm

O_D wrote:Interesting most of you have a "do what you want / it's up to you" point of view on this. Are you sure you're not a little conservative way down deep? Don't worry, I won't blow your cover across the interwebs.

TD - We now have ADT (if anyone wants ADT, my college roommate sells across the state). All ADT really does is make a lot of noise (if system is set) and in most cases will scare someone away. System goes thru a series of calls that take quite a bit of time to actually alert authorities. It's more the cracked out dudes that a weapon is for.
Also replaced some of our lights in back of house with photosensor auto-on and motion detector override that should scare off anyone before they would even try a door.

Steve - 12 ga shotguns are too long for close contact in a house.

I haven't gotten anything yet - I'm actually looking for a good case first. I want a combination lock that would allow fast access if needed, but way too complicated for kids to figure out. Any suggestions?

There are a number of small, 1 handgun safes that have biometric locks. You can have them open w/ fingerprints, usually allowing up to 3 persons to access. GunVault and Barska are 2 manufacturers. Cabela's handles them. There are clocks and wall art safes that look like household items that also conceal handguns.
tufluk

Postby irban » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:30 pm

~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Cydisc » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:23 pm

All hail his noodly appendages!
Cydisc

Postby Like_Water » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:33 am

Fiscal conservative my whole life.
Social liberal my whole life.

I don't see why we disagree, we agree on most things :lol:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby O_D » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:44 am

irban wrote:

Ummm, really? What part of background checks, gun registration and a functioning ATF indicates I don't want anyone to have guns? (I own a gun.)

Are you sure you don't have a little of this guy in you way down deep?... :P

"Therr cummin fer ar guns, merica"

A little of that guy way down deep, I'd be screaming more than 'Merica....
- I was referring to other issues where you apparently don't want the Gov't to leave us alone.
ie) Running a Business, Keeping the money you earn, Education Reform, Health Insurance, Retirement Savings, and simply the ability to control your own destiny

And yes, I understand the whack job right has their hands in as well socially with abortion and gay marriage - but I think many Repubs know abortion will never be illegal and gay marriage should be legal everywhere.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby irban » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 am

Yep, capitalism is not self policing. The market is amoral and irresposible. Govt. is the natural arbiter of the right of the individual versus the right of the institution. They don't get it right all of the time, and frankly right now they are favoring the institution too much for my taste, but largely I'm satisfied that we're pulling back from the abyss of the bush years to more sensible policy. I wish we'd spend less money on the military for sure.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby tufluk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:06 pm

irban wrote:Yep, capitalism is not self policing. The market is amoral and irresposible. Govt. is the natural arbiter of the right of the individual versus the right of the institution. They don't get it right all of the time, and frankly right now they are favoring the institution too much for my taste, but largely I'm satisfied that we're pulling back from the abyss of the bush years to more sensible policy. I wish we'd spend less money on the military for sure.

WTF??? The individual is the only possible entity that can have a "right". The "institution" can NEVER have a "right"!

I'm more likely to believe that "Govt. is not self-policing. Govts. are amoral and irresponsible. Always have been, always will be. Ours included.
tufluk

Postby irban » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:00 pm

tufluk wrote:WTF??? The individual is the only possible entity that can have a "right". The "institution" can NEVER have a "right"!

Ummm, I think the koch bros. would beg to differ here. They think the market should have the "right" to do whatever the fuk it wants to, regardless the impact on the individual. Govt. may not always do what you want, but do you think we'd be better off in a lawless society? Hell, the corporations don't want that either.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Bugslayer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:32 pm

If I had a choice between government making my choices for me or Big Business.......I'll take government EVERY time. Governments at times will make some choices for obscure reasons, business ONLY cares about the bottom line. I'd rather have 100 busybodies trying to do what they think best for me,(whether it truly is or not) than one lone rich SOB doing whats best for his bank account, and him!

Tuf....as far as an institution never having a right, you've obviously never taken one to court!
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby irban » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 am

Find the closest town hall and tell your congressman how you feel about affordable care. Don't let the teabags bamboozle the media into thinking they represent the status quo.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Bugslayer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:25 am

Indeed...in the states that are embracing it the prices are dropping, so why does the GOP dislike it? Because it is working? because it is taking money out of 2 of the biggest constituents (health care and the insurance companies) or is it simply because Obama suggested it?

I have a harsh reality check for the GOP, many members of the GOP are racially intolerant, some are downright racist. They flirt with running minorities for the top spot but they know deep down many of their own won't vote for a minority! The Dems elected a black man to the presidency!...not once, but twice...and right in your face! What will the GOP do if the Dems decide to run a white guy? a down home wasp? What will the GOP hate machine come up with?
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby tufluk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:17 am

Bugslayer wrote:If I had a choice between government making my choices for me or Big Business.......I'll take government EVERY time. Governments at times will make some choices for obscure reasons, business ONLY cares about the bottom line. I'd rather have 100 busybodies trying to do what they think best for me,(whether it truly is or not) than one lone rich SOB doing whats best for his bank account, and him!

Tuf....as far as an institution never having a right, you've obviously never taken one to court!

6 million people in Germany let the Govt. buy train tickets for them, with a free shower at the "end of the line". Mao and Stalin made reservations for millions at luxury gulags and "re-education" camps. FDR let 1000s of Japanese spend WW2 years at exclusive internment camps in Idaho and Oklahoma. A business might overcharge me, or sell me a harmful product, but Govt. has the power to destroy.
tufluk

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff