Frustration in finding if courses are open or playable

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Frustration in finding if courses are open or playable

Postby MarkDSM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Story time to start:
A buddy had business this morning in Davenport and decided to hit a course on the way home to Des Moines. He stopped in North Liberty to try Sugar Bottom and found it closed. Same thing with Turkey Creek (?) He was super bummed out.

So anyway, looking around the internets I could not find anything indicating closures (or if just the gates are locked?) Primary spots I looked were at Disc Golf Course Review dot com and here. I did not expect much here as course info is pretty random and updates are not a primary focus. DGCreview was a disappointment as the 'course conditions' are so easy to update.

Minor plea: Please update your local courses info at DGCreview.

(is there a better way to find out course info at the last minute? educate me if so)

thanks
MarkDSM

Postby tufluk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:21 pm

I know of no courses in QC that are closed. Middle park might have some construction issues.
tufluk

Re: Frustration in finding if courses are open or playable

Postby medicinal funk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 pm

MarkDSM wrote:Story time to start:
A buddy had business this morning in Davenport and decided to hit a course on the way home to Des Moines. He stopped in North Liberty to try Sugar Bottom and found it closed. Same thing with Turkey Creek (?) He was super bummed out.

So anyway, looking around the internets I could not find anything indicating closures (or if just the gates are locked?) Primary spots I looked were at Disc Golf Course Review dot com and here. I did not expect much here as course info is pretty random and updates are not a primary focus. DGCreview was a disappointment as the 'course conditions' are so easy to update.

Minor plea: Please update your local courses info at DGCreview.

(is there a better way to find out course info at the last minute? educate me if so)

thanks

i used to diligently update the courses in cedar rapids on dgcourse review but i stopped after i stopped reading the forums (ugh). i still pop in and update shaver every now and then, but awhile ago (at least a year) i messaged an admin with some new photos and updated lengths, hole #s, etc for shaver and it has yet to be implemented despite the fact that i even got a response. i don't have the photos anymore as they were on an old HD and i'm too lazy to resubmit all the info i gave them.

updating info like course conditions, local weather, whether or not the course/park is open, etc, is pretty easy though. i'll start doing that again, not like it takes very long and by the way you are speaking, it will be helpful.
Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
medicinal funk

Postby Cydisc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm

It might be worth just including the typical closed dates in the course description instead of having to update course conditions every winter.
Cydisc

Postby Like_Water » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Sugars gate is always closed in the winter, but you can walk in.

Turkey never closes I believe.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Its always on here if the gates are closed at the rez, I would suggest a more local approach obtaining that info. When traveling to always try to find local sites like ours for league nights, events, closures and such to determine where/when to play. This last weekend I made sure to call people in the know to see if JnB/Gracelad were open. DGCR is not the best source of info on these things, imo.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby blkwizardsonny » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:Its always on here if the gates are closed at the rez, I would suggest a more local approach obtaining that info. When traveling to always try to find local sites like ours for league nights, events, closures and such to determine where/when to play. This last weekend I made sure to call people in the know to see if JnB/Gracelad were open. DGCR is not the best source of info on these things, imo.
we played jnb and graceland sat great times
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Re: Frustration in finding if courses are open or playable

Postby Captain » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 pm

MarkDSM wrote:Same thing with Turkey Creek (?)

Turkey never closes.
Captain

Postby Nohr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:31 am

What I have learned is if there is a gate park near it and hike in. Is the small moutain bike trail parking lot the best way to hike into sugar bottom? These parks with the gates like walnut and sugar are they both like state parks or something? I wonder if they have different rules or clearly defined seasons.
Nohr

Postby iowapat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 am

Nohr wrote:What I have learned is if there is a gate park near it and hike in. Is the small moutain bike trail parking lot the best way to hike into sugar bottom?

Unless you feel like walking along the road from the main entrance...which would suck. Never thought about taking my neighbors john boat to get there...
This gun will not reload, cuz bitch I got extendos...
iowapat

Postby blkwizardsonny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 am

walnut clearly is closed for certain part of year . as for it being closed i feel it makes it funner when u can actually play it in april
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Discgo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 am

Nohr wrote:What I have learned is if there is a gate park near it and hike in. Is the small moutain bike trail parking lot the best way to hike into sugar bottom? These parks with the gates like walnut and sugar are they both like state parks or something? I wonder if they have different rules or clearly defined seasons.
they are both army corps of engineers
Discgo

Postby diskey river » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 pm

the best way to hike into Sugar Bottom is start your round at hole 16
diskey river

Postby AO » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Shaver will be clear tomorrow after tonights storm.
AO

Postby Grimm » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:50 pm

iowapat wrote:
Nohr wrote:What I have learned is if there is a gate park near it and hike in. Is the small moutain bike trail parking lot the best way to hike into sugar bottom?

Unless you feel like walking along the road from the main entrance...which would suck. Never thought about taking my neighbors john boat to get there...

It's not that small of a trail and it is the best way to hike in there. Relatively flat trail.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Next

Return to Stuff