one of the best

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 am

KVN wrote:I would like to see the score avg for each hole to see what boring golf holes look like?

Here's the problem with this course, holes 2,3,6,7,10,11,12,16,17, and 18 are virtually the same hole. You drive to a point where you might be able to throw one in, but you don't and you take a 3. The middle two thirds of the pro field, the entire master field, and the top half of the adv field are going to 3 15-16 holes/round. That = horrible golf holes.

I'm not saying that there aren't a few good holes, and I'm definitely not saying that I don't mind taking a shot at a 450ft deuce. There aren't a lot of courses where you can throw a big driver on every hole, but it makes for horrible golf, period.

I don't necessarily agree with Houck that most par 3s should be technical shots under 300ft. (you will rarely see him design holes between 300-500ft) But a hole should have a purpose. It should distinctly be a one shot hole for most of the field or distinctly a 2 shot hole, or 3. Occasionally you are going to have a hole that's about a shot and a half. Hole 10 at Ewing is a prime example. There's no fareway hazard and you can try throwing as far as you can with little consequence to missed shots. Again, I don't mind that on one hole, but not 12 holes. Also keep in mind that less than half the field is going to get holes like 4,5,9,13 and 14 and that's 5 more 3s. 5 is a good hole because it's tough and there will be score separation. 13 is good because of the risk/reward. 15 is the only legitimate par 4 on the course, and a good one at that, but that's it.
Clue

Postby AO » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Clue wrote:
KVN wrote:I would like to see the score avg for each hole to see what boring golf holes look like?

Here's the problem with this course, holes 2,3,6,7,10,11,12,16,17, and 18 are virtually the same hole.

Some changes I would make on these holes. 2 could be a little longer and elevating the basket would add some challenge. 3 could either have a longer or shorter tee. I think 6 is ok it just needs cleaned up on the right. 7 longer or shorter basket placement. 10 I don't know. 11 and 12 are definately reachable esp with the newer high speed discs. 16 imo is ok. You have to make a tight straight shot and then upshot. You can also take a right to left shot or left to right shot. 17 needs to be cleaned up so the low shot isn't so f'n hard. The first round Saturday I went up and over with a left to right shot. 18 is a tweener. As for 4, I thought it was crap. The pines were hanging into the fairway and it is a Shaver poke-n-hope. 5 could also use some cleaning up with over having limbs, bushes, and branches.
AO

Previous

Return to Lamoni - J&B Rolling Hills