Course Details

Course Details

Postby njrules » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:25 am

Grew up playing on this course, so I thought I would give a quick course description.

Know as the Green Bridge course (because part of the park is located under a metal green bridge that runs over the river)

The course is 9 holes with two tee pads for each hole.

The amature tee pads are all around the 200-250 ft range and the pro holes are almost all at 350ft, with a couple of longer holes. The course is next to the river, so it does flood in the spring time. The course is well designed for the space avaliable, not a woods course but plenty of well placed trees. All the tee pads are cement and the park is maintained by the city. There are elevation changes and the river can come in to play on atleast a couple of the holes. Overall not a difficult course but one that can require a variety of shots.

If any one is near the area I would suggest checking it out (this course is much better that the Wartburg course that is also in town). If you need help finding it just ask someone how to find the green bridge.

This is still one of my favorite courses... although I guess I might be biased.
Last edited by njrules on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
njrules

Re: Course Details

Postby Peil » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:03 pm

I've played this course probably a handful of times. It is definitely one of my favorite 9-hole courses. I think you meant to say that there is two sets of tees instead of two sets of pin placements, unless they have added new pins since the last time I was there (which is a possibility). I have only ever played the course from the long tees but they were set up well and offered some fun shots. I would agree that if you are driving through Waverly and only have time to play one course that this one is definitely better than the one on the Wartburg campus. Overall a nice 9-hole course.
Peil

Postby njrules » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:42 pm

Yeah, you're right about two tee offs/ not placements. I edited my above description. Glad you liked the course as well.
When I lived in town I used to play quite a bit with my parents on the course, although they liked to stick to the short tees.
njrules

green bridge course

Postby WaterlooChainSeeker » Sat May 19, 2007 8:10 pm

I also do enjoy this course i drove up from CF to play this course after hearing about it from other players in the CF area. I enjoyed it I play Exchange Park 95 percent of the time in the waterloo CF area and this was a short drive to a nicely hidden course that i had to ask about 3 diff people how to find. Once found the course played well and was more fun that i assumed at first glance and is worth a short drive to play something different :!:
The ability to drive 400 is great...
The ability to putt 4 from 30 ... not so great!
WaterlooChainSeeker

Postby Abe Froman » Wed May 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Ill b in waverly for biz next thursday and was going to stop here. Is it "south riverside park"? I google map'd waverly and see no green bridge. Which street should I enter from?
Abe Froman

Postby Abe Froman » Thu May 12, 2011 9:00 pm

its called brookwood park if anybody cares

Stopped here on my way out of town, and it's a little hard to find, but I asked the gas station people where the green bridge was and got there quik. Nice lil 9 holer, worth the stop if ur in town. I probably wouldn't dedicate a trip there but was worth it for me this time. U can tell the course is rarely used. Or there isn't any constant players in the area to maintain it. Signs are vague,with only distance and an arrow. i had to walk half of the holes first to make sure. holes are pretty decent for the available land, don't bother with the short pads unless u wanna throw putters. I did enjoy my time there. Just full of ace runs. Hole 6 and 4 (longs) are very fun. river sortof comes into play(7+8 ) if you can't control a drive but not enough to cross my mind once, course needs some love (signs/basket locations) and local minor fixes. But all in all I liked it for the small town 9er it was. Ill be back sometime if I'm in town.
Abe Froman

Postby njrules » Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 am

Yes unfortunately there hasn't been quite the dedicated players that there used to be for this course. It was installed in '96 by Tom Housemann (sp?) who left town around 2000, I started playing in 97/98 and my friends and family were out there all the time, and my buddy worked with the park department and personally took great care of the course. I graduated in 99 and came back consistently til about 2003. I still go back to the course every once in awhile but it does seem like less people play the course now then they used to.

The other big factor for the course getting worse is the flooding over the last 10 years, with the course being right next to the river there have been several years were sand just sits on the course or baskets are uprooted from the ground. Also they let the grass and weeds grow a little too wild as well.

That being said it is still a fun course and yes I've aced every hole in the short position except for #9 and its fun to play the long holes now as my distance has increased and I can two most of them.
njrules

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Is the Oak Highlands temp course just north of there still active once in a while? I thought I heard someone there had passed away and they may not have it set up anymore? That sure was a fun course/party.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Ferch » Wed May 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Not a bad course. I wish it was there when I went to W-SR High('95-'97). The Woods to the opppsite of the green bridge wood be a nice extention. A few guys built a few bmx runs through there and a Huge tabletop.
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Postby njrules » Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:Is the Oak Highlands temp course just north of there still active once in a while? I thought I heard someone there had passed away and they may not have it set up anymore? That sure was a fun course/party.

I don't know if it is still maintained or not, the land was owned by Paul or Pablo as he was also known and he passed away about 3 years ago in a car accident. I know Master Lee was good friends with him and may know more about the course.
I won't forget the Giant Basket that they built down hill and by the river, that was a blast to throw at. I haven't been there since 99 so I'm not sure how long it was maintained for but as far as back yard courses go, this was by far the best I had played.
njrules

Postby njrules » Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 pm

D31756F wrote:Not a bad course. I wish it was there when I went to W-SR High('95-'97). The Woods to the opppsite of the green bridge wood be a nice extention. A few guys built a few bmx runs through there and a Huge tabletop.

You mean wish you were playing disc back then, the course was put installed in '96 or maybe even '95, I know it had been there a year before I started playing and its what got me hooked on this damn sport.

'99 Go-Hawk grad here and we had about 10 or so from my class that regularly played the course, but after I left for college not sure how much use it got from other highschoolers. There was talk of adding holes in the area off of hole one by the old water treatment building and back into the woods, but again it just seems like the course was installed and then forgotten about. And your right playing back through those woods along the river would've made for a fun and long course.
njrules

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:04 pm

njrules wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:Is the Oak Highlands temp course just north of there still active once in a while? I thought I heard someone there had passed away and they may not have it set up anymore? That sure was a fun course/party.

I don't know if it is still maintained or not, the land was owned by Paul or Pablo as he was also known and he passed away about 3 years ago in a car accident. I know Master Lee was good friends with him and may know more about the course.
I won't forget the Giant Basket that they built down hill and by the river, that was a blast to throw at. I haven't been there since 99 so I'm not sure how long it was maintained for but as far as back yard courses go, this was by far the best I had played.

That's right, Paul and yes that giant 8' basket was completely over the top.
I think I might have lost a disc or two in the water there as well. :oops:
It was some awesome discgolf land for sure.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Ferch » Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 pm

njrules wrote:
D31756F wrote:Not a bad course. I wish it was there when I went to W-SR High('95-'97). The Woods to the opppsite of the green bridge wood be a nice extention. A few guys built a few bmx runs through there and a Huge tabletop.

You mean wish you were playing disc back then, the course was put installed in '96 or maybe even '95, I know it had been there a year before I started playing and its what got me hooked on this damn sport.

'99 Go-Hawk grad here and we had about 10 or so from my class that regularly played the course, but after I left for college not sure how much use it got from other highschoolers. There was talk of adding holes in the area off of hole one by the old water treatment building and back into the woods, but again it just seems like the course was installed and then forgotten about. And your right playing back through those woods along the river would've made for a fun and long course.

Not to prod, but I am intrigued by the fact that I never knew this sport existed while I lived in Waverly. I spent a good amount of time at this park and the woods by there and never saw baskets at the park. Who did you hang out with? PM me who you are if you don't mind. If you graduated in '99 you were a freshman when I was a Junior, so we have to know some of the same people.
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Return to Waverly - Riverside Park