Iowa Rep for 2013 USDGC (Performance Flight)

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:05 am

Discgo wrote:
GDL17921 wrote::idea: how about a series separate from the iowa tour to accumulate points somehow? This is something you could do to perhaps promote some tournaments that need the numbers to be successful - aka the A-Tiers. This year is a unique opportunity in that we have 4 A-Tiers right here in IA in a relatively short period of time. They're early enough that it could work as a nice USDGC Q-Series or something along those lines. Plus it would be a great way to encourage ams to play more than one or two of these events if they're trying for the USDGC spot they'll need to play them all. With Cedar Rapids being the last one, the finale would be in Cedar Rapids.

Q-Series -
Rumble
Old Fort
Challenge
Cedar Rapids

x number of points for playing, x number of points for number of people you beat or tie. The assumption would be that this is for MA1 (advanced players)
You can't play them all if you help run one of them. This format will discourage volunteers from helping if they want a chance at the USDGC Qualifier

:idea: ok, then maybe take 3 of the 4 best performances, or add x number of bonus points to those that help run their local event, so as not to penalize those guys for not playing.
GDL17921

Postby Discgo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 am

I heard there might be a tournament in Iowa this year that will use generous amounts of roped off OB. Something like that would make a great qualifier.
Discgo

Postby Nohr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 am

Discgo wrote:I heard there might be a tournament in Iowa this year that will use generous amounts of roped off OB. Something like that would make a great qualifier.

Which tournament is this? Or was this a joke? :oops:
Nohr

Postby Discgo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 am

Nohr wrote:
Discgo wrote:I heard there might be a tournament in Iowa this year that will use generous amounts of roped off OB. Something like that would make a great qualifier.

Which tournament is this? Or was this a joke? :oops:
hasn't been anounced yet.
Discgo

Postby treeMD » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Im in favor of using a single event for a qualifier over using a series of events, especially the A tiers. Youre looking at $250-$300 in entry fees to those tournements not to mention travel cost, just to qualify to go on another expensive trip.

I think a one event/4 round qualifier should be used. If clue doesnt want to use LOD again, maybe the CR A tier is a better choice. Its a little later in the year and should have a good turn out
Q 32845
treeMD

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:08 pm

treeMD wrote:Im in favor of using a single event for a qualifier over using a series of events, especially the A tiers. Youre looking at $250-$300 in entry fees to those tournements not to mention travel cost, just to qualify to go on another expensive trip.

I think a one event/4 round qualifier should be used. If clue doesnt want to use LOD again, maybe the CR A tier is a better choice. Its a little later in the year and should have a good turn out

+1
Abe Froman

Postby Clue » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 pm

treeMD wrote:Im in favor of using a single event for a qualifier over using a series of events, especially the A tiers. Youre looking at $250-$300 in entry fees to those tournements not to mention travel cost, just to qualify to go on another expensive trip.

I agree with this as well, plus something everyone is forgetting is the split fields at A tiers. I don't like having Adv and Pros playing for the same prize when they're playing different courses at different times. It's one thing at Marion when it's virtually impossible to have different conditions at the same venue. Also, nobody has addressed making this a scratch contest or handicapped.
Clue

Postby Discgo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:58 am

what would the benefit be of holding a scratch qualifier if the spot is for the handicapped portion of usdgc?
Discgo

Postby grodney » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 am

Discgo wrote:what would the benefit be of holding a scratch qualifier if the spot is for the handicapped portion of usdgc?

No baggers.
grodney

Postby Discgo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am

grodney wrote:
Discgo wrote:what would the benefit be of holding a scratch qualifier if the spot is for the handicapped portion of usdgc?

No baggers.
theres a separate division for that
Discgo

Postby Clue » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm

The better question would be why do a handicapped qualifier? The answer would simply be to evaluate who is playing the furthest above their rating which may or may not hold up for the interim few months between the qualifier and the tournament. And this presupposes that our only goal is to send the person who has the best shot at placing high in the tournament.

There are many other possible goals, to send someone who represents us the best whether it be by their play/abilities or their contributions to the sport. For the top guys like Tanner, AO or Ben it could be a fallback for trying the Monday qualifier. It would give them a shot at playing the Pro side without wasting a trip if they didn't qualify.

Also, I believe there's a certain level of play required to negotiate that course consistently over the course of 4 days. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but the guys I played with down there that couldn't throw a reasonable distance really struggled and didn't have much of a shot even with the handicap. I'm sure there were some that played within themselves, but I think you have to be able to throw with 975+ talent to have any shot.

Finally, I don't believe in the handicap system and I've told Jonathan Poole that. I'd rather see everything like it is (2 72 player fields) without the handicapping. Just a trophy only small entry event. It's well worth the experience and pride. It's not a whole lot different than an Am pool (which is basically what I am compared to the top 30-40 players in the world).

Just a couple thoughts. I'm not even close to making a decision. I want to make announcements at 3-4 tournaments before I start evaluating feedback.
Clue

Re: Iowa Rep for 2013 USDGC (Performance Flight)

Postby Discgo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:49 am

Any more info on this?
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby Like_Water » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Fwiw, i have no interest in this travesty of a tournament. :( :lol: :lol:

However you decide to do it, one tournament should WANT to have it. It's a draw. They will benefit from the added spice.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Clue » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 am

Discgo wrote:Any more info on this?

No, I haven't really run into enough people to get feedback. While this is a good forum it doesn't reach everyone and I wanted to get to a few other places before I made any decision. More than likely it's gonna be a single tournament in June or July with a small chance that we do something exclusive to qualifying. I just want to wait another couple weeks.
Clue

Postby laubdog93 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:14 am

quick question is this for people who havent qualified yet?
laubdog93

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator