Course

Postby geoffreylaw » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:25 pm

peyton wrote:I cut all the downed stuff on 3, but someone will have to move it. Best to put it on the northside of the path. There are two suicide trees left and when my leg gets better I will tackle them. I just can't tell which way the tree to the south of the basket will go when I cut it and couldn't get out of its way if it came towards me. Hole 4 is clear and most of the stuff is out of the way. Hole 5 is clear up on top but I will have to cut more of the hangers closer to the basket later. IF SOMEONE WOULD BE SO KIND AS TO MOVE ALL THE CUT STUFF, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. It's cut in smaller pieces that would be easy to move. Thanks

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby AO » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:21 pm

I'll be at the course Wed and Thursday around 10 am both days to do some course work. PM or call me if you can help.
AO

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:54 pm

i chopped up those new trees on 3 that fell this week and they are mostly gone now. that big one still has a large hanger that needs to fall (i threw a chain on my chainsaw and gave up for today)and i didnt feel like dying since it's a huge piece and i have no idea which way it will fall so it'll be in the short spot til it falls off. i still cant believe the basket didnt get crushed got super lucky on that one.
Abe Froman

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:02 pm

just talked to burnsy and he's selling me a 20in stihl chainsaw! f yessss! that huge ass tree that split and fell behind 17's teepad is toast after next weekend(got a wedding in south dakota this weekend). im gonna make a log-bench behind the teepad for fun if i can get a helper to roll it over there.

doug. what should i do with all that cut? it's a huge tree and not sure wtf the parks dept does with the wood chunks once it's chopped up? can i just toss em up behind 16's basket in that tall stuff near the shoreline?
Abe Froman

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:24 am

Mowed taj wednesday. Enjoy
Abe Froman

Postby AO » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:44 am

Heads up, Legion Park disc golf fans. The course's future is questionable, as the City of Marion has tentative plans to cede the land at the top of the hill to influential real estate developers to correct a surveying mistake that put the park's bike trail onto private property. Without the holes at the top of the hill, the course is cut in two, and leaves us access only via a long hike from the parking lot to the back course. The public meeting of the City of Marion Parks Department is next Wednesday, June 13th, at 4 p.m. We're trying to get on the agenda and access the Park Dept.'s unpubliished meetings from the last 4 months of previous meetings. Fans of the Thomas Park sledding hill may be interested in finding out what the city's plans entail, as well!
AO

Postby brox » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:43 am

AO wrote:Heads up, Legion Park disc golf fans. The course's future is questionable, as the City of Marion has tentative plans to cede the land at the top of the hill to influential real estate developers to correct a surveying mistake that put the park's bike trail onto private property. Without the holes at the top of the hill, the course is cut in two, and leaves us access only via a long hike from the parking lot to the back course. The public meeting of the City of Marion Parks Department is next Wednesday, June 13th, at 4 p.m. We're trying to get on the agenda and access the Park Dept.'s unpubliished meetings from the last 4 months of previous meetings. Fans of the Thomas Park sledding hill may be interested in finding out what the city's plans entail, as well!

then there will be no reason to go to Marion, ever...
brox

Re: Course

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:51 pm

i spent about 1.5 hrs this afternoon cleaning up Taj mahal (7). trimmed the weeds in the open area and cut back some of the overgrowth. it still needs alot of love before winter comes but it should help ease of play and finding your discs easier.
Abe Froman

Postby mdeeter » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:19 am

Abe, thanks for cleaning up #7. It's much nicer now.

By the way, I spoke with some guys from the parks department and they said that they are trying to get new signage and directional markers to make the disc park nicer. The goal was to have it done by this fall, but they're looking at updating the markers at the pads in the spring now.
mdeeter

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Abe Froman wrote:i spent about 1.5 hrs this afternoon cleaning up Taj mahal (7). trimmed the weeds in the open area and cut back some of the overgrowth. it still needs alot of love before winter comes but it should help ease of play and finding your discs easier.

saw a pic on facebook and it looks really good, nice course maintenence stiers!
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:03 pm

that wasn't me. i just trimmed the weeds and cleaned around the basket for a little bit. what you saw on fb was the city tearing out half the sumac between the pin and pad. that would've taken me days to do by myself. lol
Abe Froman

Postby geoffreylaw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 am

Abe Froman wrote:that wasn't me. i just trimmed the weeds and cleaned around the basket for a little bit. what you saw on fb was the city tearing out half the sumac between the pin and pad. that would've taken me days to do by myself. lol

I played Thomas on Saturday and in my humble opinion, being able to see where my disc lands is awesome. The city made a huge improvement to the Taj. I think I lost three Leopards in June and refused to play that hole until last Saturday.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby D Fresh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:39 pm

MARION SEEKING INPUT FOR THE FUTURE DEVELOPMENT OF TRAILS

The City of Marion is currently updating its Master Trails Plan. As part of the planning process, public input is being sought for the future development of trails, which includes stand-alone multi-use trails, road side trails, and on-street bicycle accommodations.

Trail users and potential trail users are encouraged to attend a public open house on Tuesday, Feb. 25 from 4:00-6:00 p.m. at the Lowe Park Arts and Environment Center, located at 4500 N 10th Street.

If you are unable to attend and wish to provide input, please contact Kesha Billings by email at kbillings@cityofmarion.org or by phone at 743-6320.

Keep moving forward,

Mark Wyatt
Iowa Bicycle Coalition
P.O. Box 5562
Coralville, IA 52241
515-309-2867 office 319-936-4948 cell
mark@iowabicyclecoalition.org

-----------------------------------------------------------

FYI. Not sure if this would affect Legion DG courses. Might be good to have someone there to learn more and give DG a voice. I vote Doug Peyton 8)
DRJ
D Fresh

Previous

Return to Cedar Rapids (Marion) - Legion Park