Two Courses in Crystal Lake?

Two Courses in Crystal Lake?

Postby Peil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:28 am

The more I think of it are Crystal Lake State Park and Ellsworth College Park the same course? I've camped at Crystal Lake a couple of times and I only remember there being one course. Maybe the name just got changed. The directions in the PDGA Course Directory seem to lead to the same place. Any thoughts?
Peil

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:28 am

the one i've played is directly on the campsite.

that's the only one i know of in crystal lake.

the baskets look like homade. they are white metal and no 2 look the same. very artistic.

is that the one you played?
calvarycoffee

Postby Peil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:44 am

That's the one that I played too Dave. The baskets are kind of cool in a way. Some of them are closed off so you have to make the putt from a certain side. A pretty fun course but they changed one of the holes last year I think. It used to go up quite a hill (like #18 at Carrol Marty in Ames) but they were building some cabins there or something so now it is just a straight shot with no elevation change and a long walk to the next tee.
Peil

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:46 am

You're right. There is only one course there. I think what happened is that I heard about the course, saw that it wasn't listed, inquired about it, got the info, made a listing in the directory, then somebody else did the same thing.

If you guys tell me which listing is more accurate, I'll delete the other one.
Cydisc

Postby Peil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:29 pm

cydisc11895 wrote:If you guys tell me which listing is more accurate, I'll delete the other one.

I would say use the Ellsworth College Park one since that's the correct name. I would maybe add that the course was established in 2004 (if that's correct). Also maybe add the lengths off the other one and the course doesn't play from basket to basket, there are wooden plaques attached to large rocks next to where you tee off from. Thanks for helping us get this sorted out Steve. This should also help those guys out with the Course History since this was one of the courses missing a date.
Peil

Postby Dale Jordal » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:03 pm

A few pictures of the course my daughter & I throw every once in a while.

Making a long putt on Number 3 ( I was trying to get a shot of the disc in flight ... instead I get a surprized look on fer face as the disc goes in.

Number 9

Our favorite campsite right next to #8 tee :D !
Dale Jordal

Postby Peil » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Great photos Dale. My family goes camping at Crystal Lake at least once a summer. We usually camp just down the steps from your favorite campsite in the last primitive spot by the lake next to the trees. I'll have to check and see if it's your family camping next to #8 the next time I tee off. :)
Peil

Postby Dale Jordal » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 pm

RP wrote:Great photos Dale. My family goes camping at Crystal Lake at least once a summer. We usually camp just down the steps from your favorite campsite in the last primitive spot by the lake next to the trees. I'll have to check and see if it's your family camping next to #8 the next time I tee off. :)

Thank you.

I think it is great to step out the door and walk out about 10 - 12 steps and be at the Tee :lol: ..... Does life get any better?

On a similar note the new Forest City DGC will have a campground right in the middle. The campground is between Basket 4, red Tee 5 & the basket 5, and Pole 9 ends near the south end of the campground, then you have to walk past the camperground to get to the swinging bridge to cross the Winnebago River and to Tee #10. So if you like camping the new FC DGC is where you want to be.
Dale Jordal

Return to Crystal Lake - State Park